Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, this isn't exactly a Linux problem, but it's a problem with my computer running Linux. All of the sudden, when I hit the on button, the lights flash but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

computer doesn't turn on

OK, this isn't exactly a Linux problem, but it's a problem with my computer running Linux. All of the sudden, when I hit the on button, the lights flash but the computer won't turn on. I opened it up and found that the fans will also spin for a split second and an LED labeled "RAM LED" will turn on, so I tried re-seating the RAM but it didn't help. I'm stumped on this one and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Just Joined!
    id be looking to get a manual for the motherboard to find out what the lit ram led means.

id also be trying taking a ram stick out to to see if the machine runs with one stick and not the other (and vice versa of course).

Do you get more than one short beep.
    What kind of BIOS do you have, different BIOS's have different beep codes.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't get any beep codes. The lights flash once and that's it.

Linux Engineer
    My bet would be that your mobo is quite dead... The same happened to me once. If you can, try using other components to narrow down the possible causes.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Try swapping in a different keyboard...

...not kidding

The LED light when on means "Danger Will Robinson! Power is applied to the memory module,do not remove!". Sounds like the power supply is going, going, gone.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

I'm serious about trying a different keyboard....

I just did my first PC 'build' and when I powered it the first time, the reaction was exactly as you described...all the fans would do a quarter turn and stop. The power LED on the main board would stay on, but nothing else would happen. Needless to say I assumed I had done a f**up on the processor or main board. After some hair pulling, sweating and cussing, I learned that it was the $14 keyboard. It's one of the very first things tested during post, and it can be a show stopper. Just unplugging it will tell you if that's it.

Let us know, I'm curious what you find

Good Luck!

Here's my plan of action: tonight when I get home from work, I'll try a different/no keybaord. If that doesn't work, tomorrow i'll slam a new (borrowed) power supply in there. If that works, I'll order a new power supply. If that doesn't work, I'll start doing tests on the motherboard. If it turn's out the motherboard's did (it better not be), I'll have a few choice words for Gigabyte cause it's not even two years old and it wasn't cheap.
    Anyway, I'll post when I figure out the problem.