Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today I got a Linksys WRT54G via newegg. Since the router is open source (Ive got OpenWRT running on it now) and easy to hack on I decided to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I made a monster!

Today I got a Linksys WRT54G via newegg. Since the router is open source (Ive got OpenWRT running on it now) and easy to hack on I decided to be different and do a hardware mod on it. I managed to combine my Speedstream dsl modem and the router into one case (the router's)!!!! Right now it looks sloppy with the cables for both items going out the back and I have a few things to do to it once Im sure it doesnt catch fire. Im going to directly solder the ethernet ports on them together so there isnt an ethernet cable running in a loop out the back, install a fan, make it all run from one power cable. After all that there should only be two cables going in the back: the phone line and power. Ill post up some pics as soon as I get gtkam to compile along w/ a step by step.
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Linux Newbie
    Here's the Howto:

First off I removed the antennas and case. Its as simple as pulling the light blue part forwards. After that the top just slid off in a slightly upward direction.

Then I took apart my dsl modem to make sure that it would fit. I didnt want the electronics shorting out so I put a piece of the plastic that is used to guard against static between the parts. My modem fits well if I put it in there upside down! I wish I had a pic of how I aranged it but I neglected to do that. Ill take more pics when I solder everything together. After that I took a hacksaw blade and removed the little pieces of plastic seperating the ethernet ports and the antennas to make room for the new wires that Ive got to stick in it. I stuck the power, phone and a ethernet cable through it and pieced it back together. I really need to get more pics of this but; this is my first time doing anything like this so bear with. There will be more pics when I redo it.
    Shows how it looks after I was done with it. Normal huh?
    Shows the back of the beast. From left to right: Antenna, power to modem, reset button on router, ethernet into router, ethernet out of modem, 4 ethernet ports, phone line in, power to router, and the other antenna. Im gonna redo it soon with more pics so for now, enjoy!