Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not strictly a Linux query but i have a Sparkle Nforce2 400 motherboard. However, 9 times out of 10 when i switch it on first thing in the morning i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Motherboard query...

Not strictly a Linux query but i have a Sparkle Nforce2 400 motherboard. However, 9 times out of 10 when i switch it on first thing in the morning i get a "CMOS Checksum Error - Loading defaults". i then have to change the BIOS settings and reset the time.

Not the most inconvenient thing in the world but it would be nice to know why it's happening (and why it's not sometimes).

NB. i've replaced the battery the hardware hasn't changed of late.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    You were right in changing the battery as that is the first thing I would suggest. Often a good battery is needed so I would make sure it is a good quality one.

Next stop would be check to see if there is a new bios available for your motherboard from the manufactures website. If there is then you should flash the new bios in and see if that helps. You old one may just have a bug or have become slightly corrupted.

If there isn't a newer bios than the one you are using then re flash your current bios with a fresh download. If your still having the same problem then see if you can get your hands on an older version (not to old though) and give that ago. If you still have the same problem with that then you bios chip is most likely corrupted and you will require a new one or a new motherboard.

If you don't fancy the new motherboard (old one being broken you might want to use it as an excuse for an upgrade) then there is a company in Italy the will either re-flash your current chip (may not be much use this in your case) for about £10 or will send you a new bios chip for about £20 for you motherboard.

They are www.recoverybios.com

You will need a proper bios chip extraction tool though and that will cost you about another £10 as not using the proper equipment can damage both the chip and the motherboard.

Hope that helps.
    [/url]

Actually I wouldn't recommend "flashing" the bios. As this cannot be recovered if something go's wrong. Also first thing that comes to my mind when reading this has almost nothing to do with something being wrong with the bios. Commonly it is caused by changes to the hardware. I've had the exact same thing happen to me with a computer I was working on yesterday. This message I've seen so many times because I work with computers. Try taking out the ram then putting it back in. Then try taking out the drives one by one and so on until this message go's away. By the way whenever you take something out or replace something go into the bios and then click on save. Sometimes then the message will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Actually I wouldn't recommend "flashing" the bios. As this cannot be recovered if something go's wrong.
    i was desperately hoping i wouldn't have to do this but this morning i discover that the PC won't even boot. It's now stating 'CMOS Checksum Error...checking Floppy A: for system disk...' and waits for a floppy with an AWDFLASH.EXE program thereon.

Any ideas what may have happened or is it time for a new 'board?

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Hmm..........

Once again I see nothing wrong with the board. You see if this computers bios was dead she wouldn't be trying to fix herself. But I think though that I may have found the problem. It's not booting from the hard drive obviously which is why it is asking for a system disk. Try going into advanced settings and put the first boot device as hdd or ide0. Also I can't believe that I didn't think of this before but try going into standard settings and and for floppy put "none". It could very well be that since the floppy type is never auto detected it caused this. The floppy drive is detected during boot if you set it to to be in advanced settings but the type is never detected. If you selected the wrong type in standard settings it will give you an error and ask you to usually press f1 to continue.

Unfortunately i can't get in to change any settings. This happens before any drives are detected and there's no option to press any key to get into change the settings. Literally, all that is displayed on the screen is:

Code:
    Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright © 1998, Award Software, Inc.
    BIOS ROM checksum error
    Detecting floppy drive A media…
    All i can think is that the BIOS might need re-flashing, though i've never done that before

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

The manual for you're board can be found................

here

Try to see if you can disable the "bootblock" on the board.