Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Moniter which is made by Dell radiates quite a bit of heat after 1-2 hours of use which has the unfortunate side-effect of disorientating me and temporary lowering my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

17" LCD Moniter overheating

My Moniter which is made by Dell radiates quite a bit of heat after 1-2 hours of use which has the unfortunate side-effect of disorientating me and temporary lowering my intelligence. Are all LCD moniters like this or is it just mine?

If LCD Moniters are all like that then is there any cooler you can attach to the moniter?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've not heard of overheating LCDs before - the top of mine gets barely warm to the touch.

Linux Newbie
    Well I am going to be biased, I don't really like Dell, so I think it is just the fact it is a Dell monitor which should not really be doing that.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Just Joined!
    It is possible that your monitor is overheating, espicially if it has an inbuilt PSU rather than an external power brick. I have know of LCD getting hot on occasions as well for extended periods of time.

I do not know of any coolers that you can attach to a monitor, all I can suggest on that front is placing a normal deskfan aimed at you monitor to cool it down.

I suggest if this is a problem with the monitor disorientating you then you should take regular breaks from using the monitor and computer and also take that time to turn the monitor off to allow it to cool down. If you are unable to take breaks (you should because it is not recommended that you work at a computer for more than a couple of hours at a time without a break) then you should consider buying a new monitor which is better suited to your needs.

Hope this helps.

Okay my first question to you would be this...............

Did you set the right monitor settings for Linux?

Linux Guru
    I have a dell 17" LCD. I rarely turn it off, but after a while it goes into Engery Saver mode if I'm not using it. I've used it for hours at a time with both Linux and Windows without it heating up at all. Call Dell if it's still under warrenty. Mine had 1 pixel out of sync and they sent me a new one, free o charge, free shipping and free return shipping on the old one.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted

What is that considered? The right sync rates?

Quote Originally Posted by ibowtotux
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted

What is that considered? The right sync rates?
    Sync, Hz and I believe voltage. Majority of the time though I just pick one from the list ^_^