Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I am a Linux user from 2 months, but I am really really desperate! In fact I have a problem with my cd-dvd drive. The problem is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with CD-DVD Drive

Hi everybody, I am a Linux user from 2 months, but I am really really desperate!
    In fact I have a problem with my cd-dvd drive. The problem is that if I write a cd iso with the drive, I am not able to use that cd with Linux! I tried to burn it with Windows and Nero, and then with Linux, but both the cds I got don't work with Linux and are perfect with Windows!
    I discovered this while I first tried to install RedHat Linux with the cdroms I created with the images downloaded from RedHat Network. Even during the installation only the first cd didn't give me problems, but everytime I needed to change it in order to go on with installation, the cdreader did always the same: while it tries to read the cd I hear sounds like "woooooom", as it reads the cd at the maximum speed, and then I hear a big "toc", as it stops reading, and then a message "no media in the drive" appears I had the same problem while I tried to install the Mandriva LE distro with the 3 cds I burned in Windows.
    But the strange thing is that all the cds are perfectly readable with Windows XP! So I cannot think that the drive is damaged, but there must be something to configure in Linux, even during the installation.
    But what is it?! I tried to disable DMA but nothing changes.... so now I really do not know what to do.
    I have to say that I can use anyother cd/dvd, that I haven't burnt by myself, with Linux.
    My PC is a Dell laptop Inspiron 8600c, with a NEC Cd, DVD+RW.
    I really hope that somebody can finally help me.
    Thank You All very much!

PS:I'm sure that I burnt the cds perfectly with Nero Image Writer, so I have not copied the iso file on cd, but correctly used it.

Roberto, Italy

When you look at the cds in XP, do you see one file or many.
    what software are you using in Linux to burn the iso.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I see many files. In Linux I use the software with graphic interface includes in the Mandrive LE distro.

Roberto

That would be k3b, the best burning application out there.
    When you go to burn the iso, right-click on the iso, select burn with k3b.
    When the burning window comes up.
    There are three settings you need to change,
    Change the auto to iso9660
    another auto to DAO
    and the burning speed should be very low, 4x works great.

P.S. I meant when you look at the cds created in linux, do you see lots of files when you look at the cd in XP.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ