Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install a Celeron 600 mhz processor into a Amptron m748lmrt. The processor has a FSB of 66 mhz. I have the manual and it says that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mainboard processor problem

I'm trying to install a Celeron 600 mhz processor into a Amptron m748lmrt. The processor has a FSB of 66 mhz. I have the manual and it says that the board supports 300~600 mhz Celeron processors with a FSB of 66. When I put it in though it doesn't work. But when I put in a 500 mhz Celeron processor it works. Also when I go into the "PnP cpu set up" it shows that the highest 66 mhz can be times by is x8 which would equal 533 mhz. I also tried to put the FSB to 100 and set it to x6 but it still wouldn't work. The bios is"AMIBIOS simple setup utility-version 1.20e". Can someone help me?

Linux Engineer
    Have you tried the celeron in another motherboard? Just to make sure it ain't dead? Tried to update the bios? Might help
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

yes it works in another board. I would upgrade the bios but I can't find the download. I find it weird that the manual says it will work too. The highest the board can go is 800 mhz on a 100 FSB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    OK... Can you change the MP? I thought Intel locked them way before AMD did... Can you change it on Celerons? Maybe it won't take your cpu because it's locked MP is too high? Just guessing...

Anyway, from experience, I have two motherboards here for PIII that don't accept banks of 256 MB RAM, although they should according to specs (and manual, and updated bios)... Never found out why. One of the many computer mysteries
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Whats MP?