Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im not sure about this, my new video card runs at about 60 degrees C when basically idle. It is an evga 6800 gt, so it has only one slot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hot video card?

Im not sure about this, my new video card runs at about 60 degrees C when basically idle. It is an evga 6800 gt, so it has only one slot heat sink and fan. Nvidia says the "Core slowdown threshold" is at 135 degrees C. Im not sure I like this hot temperature. My case has 2 fans and I believe that the entire case will change fan speed (including video card) if it gets too hot. Do you think I am safe or is there anything i could try to do about this? I know I can take thermal controll off of my case fans in the bios but then it sounds like I have a spaceship taking off. To do this same thing with the video card I simply uninstall the driver. My computer's ambient temperature is @ 46 C.
    Registered Linux user #390336

Just Joined!
    if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Once you start seeing artifacts or some other noticable flaws, then you've got a problem.

If your running a company-built machine, such as Dell or the like, chances are that the company took into account the airflow of the machine. I wouldn't worry.

Also, according to your specs, you would need a process capable of raising your GPU 75 degrees! Proportionally, and that is my only basis for this comment, it would seem quite unlikely to find a game this hard on your machine.

You should record some peak temperatures and check out other posts/forums for thier info. You dont even really have a problem yet, just assumptions. Do some lurking first.