Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently got myself some 5.1 speakers and so am wondering which 5.1 sound card do u use?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux compatible sound card for 5.1?

I recently got myself some 5.1 speakers and so am wondering which 5.1 sound card do u use?

Linux User
    Right now I'm using an old Hercules GTXP, which is extrememly versatile with it's breakout box, 8.1 channels, and headphone amp. I wouldn't buy it again, though. The sound quality isn't all that great (but quite good with Alsa), and the breakout box gets in the way. If you need the versatility of a headphone amp, breakout box, and lots of I/O, then I'd suggest looking into the Terratec Aureon Universe with it's 5.25" bay box. It uses a VIA Envy chip, and Terratec also makes some low end pro cards, so sound quality should be at least very good. For just plain ol' 5.1 with no frills and great quality, I'd look towards the M-Audio Revolution 5.1

I won't even get into sound quality and cut corners, but I personally avoid Creative like the plague because, well... that's what they are. Their business practices are horrid.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe