Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please can anyone help me out? I have a HP proliant DL360 G3 with RHEL3 installed on it. It has two disks in a raid1 configuration. When i jack one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP DL360 wont send message when disk is removed.

Please can anyone help me out?

I have a HP proliant DL360 G3 with RHEL3 installed on it. It has two disks in a raid1 configuration. When i jack one of the hard drives out i want a message to be sent to the /var/log/messages file. On our old compaq dl 360's a message is sent to the /var/log/messages file. Unfortunatly on the new hp dl360 no message is gennerated. I need the message to be generated so as our monitoring system can detect a disk failure. Does anyone have any info that may help me out?

Kind regards

Geez, One would think the monitoring software would have something to set up for what condition, with what message, sent to where?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    The monitoring system looks at the /var/log/messages file and if it sees an entry in it with the string "/Non Fatal error on id/". On the old Compaq dl360's this message is sent the the messages log when scsi hard drive is removed from the chasis of the box being monitored.

I cant work out why this same message is not generated on the new HP proliant dl360's when a disk is jacked out.

Im sure there must be a way to get this working but cant for the life of me think how.

Still, something (BIOS maybe?) has to be monitoring the devices and has to be told where to put the message at.

Just Joined!
    I agree, there has to be something monitoring the hardware. Ill have a look into the BIOS, but as far as hardware goes im not much of an expert ... lol.

Just back from some research on the HP DL360. It seems that there has been some troubles with the drivers working with the SCSI controllers with this unit.
    The problems have been with different OSs, versions of OSs, So you might want to check with HP, they might have an work around for you at thier web site.