Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello fellow computer guys - I have a PIII box lying around, and I plan on making it my file/web/smb/everythingelseineed server I was thinking that a PCI IDE RAID card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

RAID Cards

Hello fellow computer guys -

I have a PIII box lying around, and I plan on making it my file/web/smb/everythingelseineed server

I was thinking that a PCI IDE RAID card would be a good setup so I can have backups of my stuff...

What's the best way to go regarding RAID in linux? SATA is also an option, but only through a PCI card. Any advice?

Thanks!

Linux User
    LSI, they design around Linux compatability. Many others will work (3ware is nice), but it's nice having that extra insurance.

Of course, I'd bet most RAID cards will be designed with Linux compatability in mind, since we've been making quite the wave in the server space. But personally, I'll be getting LSI.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!

PCI RAID ite8212

Hi,
    I've got a ite8212 RAID PCI Card and want to configure it to work with by SuSE 9.2 install but it says no configurable RAID card installed (its there slotted in with 2X40Gb WD drives IDE133 alright). "lspci says ite8212, I guess I need a driver. Please help, step by step instruction would be nice, howto configure all aspects of getting this type of PCI Software RAID Card configured.
    I have found that information on this type of installation is limited, and I have not much experience with drivers in Linux SuSE 9.2.

Can anyone help me please?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Well, from what I'm gathering, the ITE 8212 is well supported in the 2.4 branch of the kernel, but as of 2.6.10 it hasn't made it out of Alan Cox's patchset for that branch. ITE does have a module on their website, but I'm not hearing of much luck with it in 2.6
    http://www.ite.com.tw/software_downl...3%20Controller

I've only read the beginning of this thread, but I'm guessing it's only going to get you it working for storage, not to install upon
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/227833

Good luck, it sounds like a nice little adventure
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    LSI, they design around Linux compatability. Many others will work (3ware is nice), but it's nice having that extra insurance.

Of course, I'd bet most RAID cards will be designed with Linux compatability in mind, since we've been making quite the wave in the server space. But personally, I'll be getting LSI.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816118007

So you would say that's a good one?

On a related note, is it possible to boot off the RAID array? =\