Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
use the gentoo initscripts rather than the alsactl store command. they know what to do. and incase you didnt see my reply check the above post from me :) (seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

use the gentoo initscripts rather than the alsactl store command. they know what to do. and incase you didnt see my reply check the above post from me :) (seems we posted at the same time!)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    probably the panel is segfaulting when this happens. try starting the panel from an xterm and watch for output when you crash it by playing a sound. it probably is the volume control plugin.
    try recompiling that will different USE settings ( USE="-*" emerge xfce4-mixer .. Im not sure if that is the name of the panel aplication but it seems to be the only likely one)

you need to allso add alsasound to the default runlevel with rc-update add alsasound default then make sure that SAVE_ON_STOP="yes" is set in /etc/conf.d/alsasound and, finaly, do /etc/init.d/alsasound restart and it should store current settings if its all set up properly.
    good call about the segfault...here's the output when i run "xfce4-panel" from xterm:
    Code:
    josh@computer ~ $ xfce4-panel
    /home/josh/.themes/Milke 2.3/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:17: Unable to find include file: "icons/iconrc"
    Segmentation fault
    josh@computer ~ $
    I never thought about running it from an xterm. do you think changing my theme would fix it?
    I've also just added alsasound to the default runlevel.
    I just checked and SAVE_ON_STOP does equal "yes".

thanks a lot!

Linux Enthusiast
    use the gentoo initscripts rather than the alsactl store command. they know what to do. and incase you didnt see my reply check the above post from me (seems we posted at the same time!)
    lol..it looks like we did

very good instructions!

Linux Engineer
    /home/josh/.themes/Milke 2.3/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:17: Unable to find include file: "icons/iconrc"
    Yes, changing the theme probably would fix that but it looks like a simple error.

take a look at that file with nano and go to line 17 it should say something about icons/iconrc which is probably the wrong uri.. if you can find that file (icons/iconrc) then you can probably fix the link in gtkrc and hopfully stop the segfault.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, changing the theme probably would fix that but it looks like a simple error.

take a look at that file with nano and go to line 17 it should say something about icons/iconrc which is probably the wrong uri.. if you can find that file (icons/iconrc) then you can probably fix the link in gtkrc and hopfully stop the segfault.
    I searched and couldn't find "iconrc" and it said "include "/icons/iconrc" in the file so I commented it out but that didn't work either.

oh well, I'll change to another theme

thanks a lot for all of you help!

EDIT: changing the theme worked

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes

I searched and couldn't find "iconrc" and it said "include "/icons/iconrc" in the file so I commented it out but that didn't work either.

oh well, I'll change to another theme

thanks a lot for all of you help!

EDIT: changing the theme worked
    ...nvm. now i get this error when a sound plays or i change songs (when the panel exits):
    Code:
    ** (xfce4-panel: 20562): WARNGING **: alsa_cb

Segmentation fault

Linux Engineer
    bah, oh well.

please show me your make.conf. Also you could try ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av xfce4-panel and same for alsa and your cards driver (if its a kernel module, not built in) (it was the panel right?) please also show me the output of emerge -pv xfce4-panel.

Linux Enthusiast
    bah, oh well.

please show me your make.conf. Also you could try ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av xfce4-panel and same for alsa and your cards driver (if its a kernel module, not built in) (it was the panel right?) please also show me the output of emerge -pv xfce4-panel.
    make.conf:
    Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build scrpit that automatically built this stage
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"
    USE="-kde -fortran -gnome x86 3dnow X -accessibility acpi alsa apm arts cdr cups esd truetype glut gtk gtk2 java jikes nocd opengl python qt samba usb videos zlib"
    CCACHE_SIZE="26"
    FEATURES="distlocks"
    the kernel module "emu10k1", which is my card's drivers, i built into it. should i recompile the kernel with the drivers as a module instead of built in? also, i'm sure you understand this but just in case, the panel only closes when i have the volume control applet open in it and i play a sound (or change a song, etc,...).

Output of "emerge -pv xfce4-panel":
    Code:
    computer  josh # emerge -pv xfce4-panel

There are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ....done!
    [ebuild    #    ]  xfce4-base/xfce4-panel-4.2.0  -debug  -doc  0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
    I'm now emerging xfce4-panel and some other dependencies now with this command (the one you suggested): "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av xfce4-panel"

I've installed the card's driver (emu10k1) using emerge earlier also. This shouldn't give the build in driver on the kernel a problem should it?

I will also emerge alsa again using the same command as I did with xfce4-panel.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: also, i'm pretty sure this will fix some things...I'm still using the kernel from gentoo sources that came with the 2005.0 iso. it's version is 2.6.11-gentoo-r3. when i try installing alsa it wants to install 2.6.11-gentoo-r11. can i use genkernel on the newer kernel?? Last few times I've tried compiling a kernel myself, the system wouldn't boot....but when I use genkernel I let it select all that I need, then I take away things I know I don't need...so I feel much more comfortable using genkernel, if that's an option here. Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    you can use genkernel

Linux Enthusiast
    you can use genkernel
    ok, i got that to work...now using the vanilla kernel 2.6.12. alsa seems to load correclty at startup, but it still exits the panel (and alsamixer) if i play a sound

i also can't change the tone (increase/decrease bass/treble)

do you have any idea what's wrong? i made sure to compile emu10k1 into the kernel as a module...

thanks for helping

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast