Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get my sound card to work. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I'm using Gentoo and my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Help installing Audigy 2 drivers

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get my sound card to work. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

I'm using Gentoo and my computer finds no sound devices.

I've already compiled "emu10k1-0.20a-r7" with a lot of difficulty (i think it was hard masked in portage and it refused to let me install it becuase it was "obsoleted by ALSA", but I really didn't care that the drivers are old, I'm trying to get my sound card working lol. I also don't see that this would have any affect on the rest of the system, so I wasn't worried.

When I type "modprobe emu10k1" in a terminal, it gives me this error message:
    Code:
    FATAL: Module emu10k1 not found.
    FATAL: Error running install command for emu10k1
    Maybe it didn't install?? When I do a search with portage, it says that it's isntalled though...

I've also installed several alsa-related things in hopes that it would help (alsa-lib, gst-plugins-alsa, xmms-alsa, alsa-firmware, alsa-headers, alsa-tools, alsa-utils, alsamixergui, alsaplayer). When I try to install "alsa-driver", I get this error message:
    Code:
    ALSA is already compiled into the kernel.
    Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
    Once you have satisfied these options, please try merging
    this package again.
    (this is using portage)

I'm not sure what it wants me to do with the kernel. It almost sounds like it wants me to remove it from the kernel? That sounds counter-productive though...

I'm sure I almost have my sound card working, but I can't quite figure out exactly what's wrong.

Can someone give me some advice/input?

I had the same problem, and then I realised that the soundcard driver was integrated nto the kernel already!

So,
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    now you will be in the kernal configurator, here go to
    Device Drivers --> Sound --> Advanced Linux Sound Architucture ---> PCI devices
    and select your driver as a module or intigrated. Now save and exit the configuration, and do
    Code:
    make && make modules_install
    And then copy the bzImage, System.map and .config over to the /boot partition as is says to do in the handbook.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that's what it was. I didn't have "emu10k1" compiled into it

Thanks . I must've overlooked that when compiling it the first time around. I'm now compiling it...I'll tell you how it went once it finishes and I restart it

Linux Enthusiast
    yep, that looks like it did it . it knows i have an audigy 2

Thanks!

I'm glad you get it to work - it had me stumped for hours.
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I'm glad you get it to work - it had me stumped for hours.
    I understand what you mean. I've been playing around with it lightly for the last couple of days. I finally had to ask...I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks a lot for your help!

Linux Enthusiast

Another problem related to the sound card.

I think I've come across another problem relating to the sound card. not sure why it's happening.

I use XFCE4 and when something makes a sound, the panel disappears...I have to reload the panel. It only disappears when something makes a sound....it can be anything. At first it was with a movie online, but I tried IM'ing someone from Gaim and the panel closed then too. Any idea what might cause this?

Also (probably related to the above problem), I see my sound card (Audigy 2) as an option in volume control, but when I choose it, exit volume control, then reload it to see if it saved it...the "default" sound device is still selected. Any way to make my Audigy 2 the default?

EDIT: I just got rid of the volume control from the panel and, now when i play a sound the panel stays. so it had to do with the volume control applet. any ideas? also, i'd appreciate it if you could help me make my audigy 2 the default still, as that might fix this problem.

Hmm, I've never used XFCE, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm not sure but you could try and run
    Code:
    alsamixer
    so set your mixer settings, also you might want to configure the card with
    Code:
    alsaconf
    (though this might have been for the 2.4.* kernel not the 2.6.* one, I'm not sure) and store the info with
    Code:
    alsactl store
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    probably the panel is segfaulting when this happens. try starting the panel from an xterm and watch for output when you crash it by playing a sound. it probably is the volume control plugin.
    try recompiling that will different USE settings ( USE="-*" emerge xfce4-mixer .. Im not sure if that is the name of the panel aplication but it seems to be the only likely one)

you need to allso add alsasound to the default runlevel with rc-update add alsasound default then make sure that SAVE_ON_STOP="yes" is set in /etc/conf.d/alsasound and, finaly, do /etc/init.d/alsasound restart and it should store current settings if its all set up properly.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Hmm, I've never used XFCE, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm not sure but you could try and run
    Code:
    alsamixer
    so set your mixer settings, also you might want to configure the card with
    Code:
    alsaconf
    (though this might have been for the 2.4.* kernel not the 2.6.* one, I'm not sure) and store the info with
    Code:
    alsactl store
    when i ran alsamixer it ran fine...found my card and everything. but when i ran alsaconf it didn't find any PnP or PCI sound cards (my audigy 2 is a PCI card). I then ran "alsactl store" and it just went to the next line....it looked like that probably worked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast