Find the answer to your Linux question:
alrite i was thinking of building my own computer but i need a bit of help with some things. i know a good bit i get the whole fsb thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

help with new computer

alrite i was thinking of building my own computer but i need a bit of help with some things.

i know a good bit i get the whole fsb thing on the motherboards and pentiums i understand the memory i know how to put everything in but i can't sort out the power supply. is it if you get a 400 watt power supply can you put more stuffin the box or does it have to corrospond with all the hardware requirements.

and also if i get a card which has onboard sound and graphics can i buy a sound/graphics card later on and take some stress of the proccessor.

and also can anyone tell me where is a good place to get a motherboard/proccessor and hard drive at a good price? (its going to be a budget computer but that will get upgraded later)

thanks v much
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

1) Yes the more peripherals you put in the more power you need. But the motherboard only draws what it needs.
    2) Yes you can.
    3) What country are you from?

can't answer all of your questions.

The power supply one, roughly the more you want to put into the PC (baords, disks etc) the more power (wattage)you'll need. However, I don't think you'd suffer unless your really going for big and full. There are some sites for this sort of thing, try http://www.motherboards.org/ .

The sound and graphics card. No problem. Most ATX motherboards (if not all) have onboard sound and video. What you do when you install a sound card is either (!) use your BIOS to turn off the onboard sound or (2) select a jumper switch or (3) nothing it autodetects. And when you put in a video car you, well do the same, my motherboard requires me to set a dip switch (in a very inconvenient place .

As to the where from question, depends where you are from. You could try ebay (where I got my present mobo from) or there are places on the web, but it really depends where you are.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thanks v much
    i'm in ireland so england would be good but anywhere really...
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

I use GoogleGear and NewEgg to buy computer parts. They both gave good prices, some good shipping deals on some parts, and I've had no bad experiences. They're both in California...
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

I've not used them myself, but have a look at :-

http://www.lindop.net/

Also, make sure that you've got the CPU socket differences straight, before you opt for a particular motherboard. I made the mistake of thinking that all socket 370s are alike, they're not.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS