Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I run glxgears I get this (error?): Code: Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0:". and I don't have 3d acceleration (glxgears shows ~370 FPS). I have an ATI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0:".

When I run glxgears I get this (error?):
    Code:
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0:".
    and I don't have 3d acceleration (glxgears shows ~370 FPS). I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. I followed these instructions (the gentoo instructions) carefully...making sure I've compiled what I needed in the kernel and all, but I still come up with this error when running glxgears.

Can someone help me or give me some suggestions?[/url]

Linux Enthusiast
    i found the solution!!

firstly, i use gentoo...

I wasn't emerging the newest (unstable??), i was using the newest stable ati-drivers (8.10.12 i think it was) and i am using a very new vanilla kernel (2.6.12.1). i ran "emerge ati-drivers" but i couldn't load the fglrx module by doing this: "modprobe fglrx". it said the module wasn't found. so, i ran this command "echo "media-video/ati-drivers ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords" to allow the newest x86 version, whether or not it's stable, to be emerged. i then ran "emerge ati-drivers" and it installed the newest one (8.14.13-r6 i believe).

now, it loads fglrx and i have 3d acceleration . i used to run glxgears at ~260 FPS, now it's up to ~4500 FPS. i've been trying to fix this forever and i can't believe the solution was that simple