Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
yea, NEC is the DVD-RW I'm going with. I've found all the parts I needed and have downloaded Fedora Core 4. So in about 2 weeks I'll be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yea, NEC is the DVD-RW I'm going with.

I've found all the parts I needed and have downloaded Fedora Core 4.

So in about 2 weeks I'll be able to buy all the parts and get it running.

Any suggestions on materials to read up on while waiting for my next check? To learn the basic ins and outs of linux / fedora core 4.

Linux User
    i forgot what brand of DVD burner I has, so I pulled it out of the bay while my thinkpad was running

For future reference: don't do that. bad idea

for the record, its a hitachi, and it seems to work great, havent actually burned anything with it, though.

it did come in my thinkpad, though, and most (if not all) of IBM's hardware is guranteed to work with linux

Linux Newbie
    If anyone is interested check out www.linuxcompatible.org for Linux compatible hardware.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

My DVD-RW is a liteon and it works perfectly fine. I've used other brands of CD-RW, DVD-roms in the past and have never had any problems.

On a slightly side note: does kernel 2.6.x work as well with SIS and NForce chipsets as they do with VIA. I've only ever used VIA with linux but have always wondered
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    On a slightly side note: does kernel 2.6.x work as well with SIS and NForce chipsets as they do with VIA. I've only ever used VIA with linux but have always wondered
    I've had no trouble with VIA or SiS chipsets in Linux, either kernel 2.4 or 2.6. I have had issues with Nforce2 chipsets in some Linuxes (like Mandrake 10). I haven't tried the never Nforce chipsets though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

pretty much anything in a desktop is supported if you build it yourself....though as said b4 the ati drivers suck.... the problems come in when there is propriatary hardware in prebuilt pc's and thus laptops and every brand of +- dvd-rw that i have tried has worked with no problems.....including the cheepies from the aformentioned store.....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2