Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone successfully built a box w/ 4GB RAM in an A939 (AMD64) motherboard? Regardless of manufacturers stated specs, the most I've been able to get running is 2GB, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

4GB RAM in an A939 board?

Has anyone successfully built a box w/ 4GB RAM in an A939 (AMD64) motherboard? Regardless of manufacturers stated specs, the most I've been able to get running is 2GB, and I'm going on my third board. Suffice to say, things aren't going well. If anyone has had success w/ this, please let me know what board and RAM you're using, model #'s would be a huge help. thanks

Linux Newbie
    what kind of boards are you using? Im wanting to build an amd64 machine soon w/ 4GB. I would be a little upset if it didnt work right, those parts are not cheap!
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Linux User
    same here, Im actually just ~2weeks away from ordering it. planning on using an ASUS board, and couldnt decide to use my existing RAM (2x512) or swap it out for a gig stick. if 2gig is the best you can do, there really isnt any reason for me to do so

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I was looking at this board from soltek,

http://www.soltek.de/soltek/product/...SL-K890Pro-939

I downloaded the manual and it says it will support 4GB dual channel. Anybody running this board?
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Just Joined!
    from what i understand with 4Gigs /4slots being used. it all boils down to the cpu. i would recomend a NF4 chipset and make sure your cpu that you have/buying is the Venice Core. they have improved the memory part considerably. you are now able to run 4 sticks of ram at 400mhz (ddr) and not 333 like older versions.

Also when using 4 gig of ram get ECC ram (registered RAM), also 4 gig of ram puts one heck of a load on the northbridge too (cpu in the NF4 case)