Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this isn't really linux related, but I need to upgrade my BIOS from a custom version (1.03 by Time Computers) to the manufacturers new version so that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

KM18G Pro BIOS...

I know this isn't really linux related, but I need to upgrade my BIOS from a custom version (1.03 by Time Computers) to the manufacturers new version so that the BIOS supports processors with a FSB of 400. I got a new AMD 3200+ to replace the 2700+ in this system, but the max. FSB at the moment is 333 and I'm not sure what'll happen if I install it just now without doing a BIOS upgrade.

Anyway, I have 18g108.zip and I followed the instructions and just before it goes to patch the BIOS I get the error: BIOS Lock Strings Do Not Match. Now, my uncle has recommended that I just do a /f (its awdflash) to force the upgrade, however I'm not sure if this is a really good idea.
    Anyone know of anyway to check compatibility, or if its safe enough just to /f?

Linux Enthusiast
    do you have a bios lock or guardian? check to see if you have it and, if you do, turn it off before updating youur bios.

my brother had, what sounds like, a similar problem to yours and that's what he had to do to update the bios.

Linux Newbie
    Well... I asked my uncle and he said that if it screwed up he'd get me a new motherboard, so I just /f 'ed it, and it worked fine. Except from it doesn't show the nv bios (dont care) or the time computers screen (which is good) anymore... but I got my FSB200/400 .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdodd13
    Well... I asked my uncle and he said that if it screwed up he'd get me a new motherboard, so I just /f 'ed it, and it worked fine. Except from it doesn't show the nv bios (dont care) or the time computers screen (which is good) anymore... but I got my FSB200/400 .
    lol...nice! glad to hear it worked...i'll keep that in mind next time i update a bios