Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use Suse 8.0 I have a TV Card (Haupage). The TV card is installed and linux has a software to use the card. The problem is that as simple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TV Card...

I use Suse 8.0
    I have a TV Card (Haupage).
    The TV card is installed and linux has a software to use the card.

The problem is that as simple user i can't watch tv, unless i log-in the system as root and open the tv-application once. After that i can log-out, log-in as user and watch tv without any problems. If i don't follow the above steps and open the tv-application as simple user the application is terminated without an error message.

Is the tv-card a device that needs mounting first?
    Should i write something in the /etc/fstab?

hi S_telios,
    you don't say what software you're using.

I've tried playing around with a TV card (admitadly a VERY cheap and not so cheerful one) and I've encountered no problems like you describe. The software that I've , successfully, used is 'xawtv' 'motv' and zapping' all of which can be found either on your distro or on the web. I've got nothing extra in /etc/fstab.

I'm just wondering if you may be bumping into some sort of module permission. This is just a (wild?) guess, but have a look in /etc/modules.conf and see if you find anything in there (bttv is one of the modules that gets loaded). Also do a 'dmesg' after you try to open your TV program as a normal user and see if there's anything useful in the messages.

Sorry that I can't give you an immediate answer, but maybe some of the stuff I've mentioned will lead you to the results your after.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I tried to modify the modules.conf but with no effects.
    I changed the properties of the TVCard.desktop file and i choosed to run the application as other user (as root). Now i don't have the problem but i have to put the root password everytime i activate the tv-software.
    The TV-software is the KWinTV.

:P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, but don't know the KDE desktop very well (I use Gnome), but I wonder if this is a similar problem to kppp which has to be setup for 'non-root' users to activate.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

what device in /etc does it use?
    Thats the one you have to set the correct premissions to.

You could create a group called "tv", join it and give the group tv full premissions to use that card, or you could just make you the owner of the device, wich would be more suitable if you're the only one using the computer..

Just Joined!
    I found that the application is using the /dev/bttv0 file
    (i used the dmesg command...)

I tried to login as root and change the access rights of this file, but with no effects. The access permissions area was disabled and i could't change the group.

So...
    In the properties box of the TV Card.desktop file i found that this application link calls an application with name kwintv. I searched my hard disk and i found the file /otp/kd2/bin/kwintv. The user is in the access group. So, i made a link of this file on my desktop and when i activate it the tv-software opens without any problems.