Find the answer to your Linux question:
P4T533 Mobo 2.8 Intel P4 500FSB 512 RDRAM 1066 GeForce 4600 Ti Audigy Gamer So, I boot Linux figuring I'll fiddle with the Linux Games first, which are ALOT more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tux Racer too much for my new GAMING PC?

P4T533 Mobo
    2.8 Intel P4 500FSB
    512 RDRAM 1066
    GeForce 4600 Ti
    Audigy Gamer

So, I boot Linux figuring I'll fiddle with the Linux Games first, which are ALOT more fun than Solitare and Minesweeper mind you, but Tux Racer and a couple other games are running pretty choppy; like 2 Frames Per Second.....any ideas on what the problem could be?

Linux Engineer
    graphics drivers installed properly?

You need the drivers from nvidia. Not the one that comes with xfree. Its a shame that nvidia has to be such jerks, to not reveal their spec's so people are bound to un-free drivers.

Link: here

if you don't know how to install it, ask here

Just Joined!
    Nope I don't think I could install that if my life depended on it....Having this Linux Box is like learning exatly what an operating system is all over again. My friends are like, "Got it online yet?" and I'm like...."Uhm...no....cause well...I dunno how" *types while DSL support line is attached to his ear" I'm a new born penguin need to learn how to crawl before I can walk.

Code:
    wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4496/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run && chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run && ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run && nano /etc/X11/XF86Config
    In the last section, type ctrl-w and type "nv" replace that with "nvidia"
    and youre good to go

Just Joined!
    Alrighties first I have to get it on the net BUT I found something. I'm currently getting my stuff together for my move in 2 days and I was rummaging through my boxes, sorting out the trash and important stuff and guess what I found.....The MSI driver disk with the Nvidia Installer thingy ma bob, which I've heard works pretty well on the linux system for us linux noobs coming from our daily Microshaft. So, I don't know if this thing works yet because I've got my monitor packed in the box it came in, so I'm going to hook my box back up with my roomies stuff and try it when I get back on the phone with DSL tech support, whom I'll be holding hostage over the phone until I figure out how to get my box on the net.

Any thoughts?

I didnt quite understand, are you trying to use windows drivers on xfree? In that case, no it wont work. If thats not what you meant, I'm sorry

Anyway, if the DSL stuff is connected to a router, I think you have to use a dhcp-client or a pppoe client.

You can find dhcpcd at freshmeat.net and rp-pppoe at www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe

Good luck

Just Joined!
    I have the .run file on my desktop. (If it's a needed root action it prompts me to login as root and gives me a login window, the only thing I do in text is type start x) So, what do I do with this file again? Do I open konsole for this?

Edit: copied your code into console and got this error:

ERROR: Unable to find the system utility `ld`; please make sure you have the
    package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed,
    then please check that `ld` is in your PATH.

OK