Find the answer to your Linux question:
As you can see in my sig, I have a dual AMD Athlon MP 1800+ (1.53Ghz) system that I'm generally happy with. I've considered upgrading one of the two processors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Questions about upgrading a single processor

As you can see in my sig, I have a dual AMD Athlon MP 1800+ (1.53Ghz) system that I'm generally happy with. I've considered upgrading one of the two processors to an Athlon 2800+ (2.13Ghz).

Firstly, can I run two processors that run different cores? My current CPU's run on the palomino core, the newer one would run on the barton core. I'm thinking this would cause problems, but I'd like to get a second thought on this.

Next, is it okay to run two processors at different frequencies (ie: 2.1Ghz and 1.5Ghz)? I've always thought this would be fine but, once again, i'd like another view on this.

I'm considering upgrading one of my processors mainly because I run Gentoo and the compiles are very CPU-intensive and take hours at times. So I'd like to upgrade a CPU in hopes of cutting the compile times down some....even if it's not a huge difference. I'd also like to upgrade just to make sure my computer keeps somewhat up-to-date with everything. I also play Doom III occassionally, but get tons of lag unless the graphic settings are turned all the way down with the exception of an 800x600 resolution, this doesn't bother me too much, but I feel (even though I have an ATI card) that it may be partly because of the CPU's.

It may be a little while before I decide to actually do this, but I'd just like some thoughts on this in the meantime.

Also, the reasons why I'm thinking of doing this rather than another computer upgrade. Firstly, I'm really bent on staying dual-processor. I understand I can get a 64-bit CPU/mobo combo for roughly the same price as one of these processors (~$200), but I really want to stay dual-processor. Also, I wouldn't have the funds to purchase anywhere near as much ram as I have now either, so that may slow it down if I do decide to upgrade the mobo and CPU. As for the graphics card, I'm happy with it even though it's ATI. For most games, it runs well as I've got 3d acceleration enabled on it

Linux Engineer
    First I would check if your system's bios supports newer cores like the Barton.

As for the difference in cpu's, I don't know... Have you ever tried changing the frequency of one of the cpu's? You should try that if possible, that way you know if your system supports different cpu's. Of course, your motherboard has to be able to change multipliers, or FSB...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    First I would check if your system's bios supports newer cores like the Barton.

As for the difference in cpu's, I don't know... Have you ever tried changing the frequency of one of the cpu's? You should try that if possible, that way you know if your system supports different cpu's. Of course, your motherboard has to be able to change multipliers, or FSB...
    thanks for some of the information i need to look for

i found out it does support the athlon mp 2800+ (the newest--beta --bios supports it)

about changing the frequency of the cpu's.....i've never tried that. the only control i have over that (very minimal) is that i can set it to a turbo mode or normal mode. that's all i've been able to do. and, it doesn't let me set this mode cpu-independently. i believe they are both set to it when i adjust this.

i think i can adjust the frequency some how, though, as it has a selection that's unselectable and it says something about allowing the user to adjust it. i think i have to change some jumpers on the mobo (sorry, this almost sounds like it deals more with actual hardware overclocking and i have no experience in it at all, so i may be wrong about something here). essentially, they don't make it extremely easy (make a selection in the bios) to adjust the frequency, as i haven't been able to figure it out by simply messing around in the bios.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Try getting a different Athlon Xp before you buy one yourself, and test it. Should not be that difficult?

Also, server boards are not intended for overclocking generally, as you want a rock stable system .

Linux Enthusiast
    Try getting a different Athlon Xp before you buy one yourself, and test it. Should not be that difficult?

Also, server boards are not intended for overclocking generally, as you want a rock stable system .
    do you mean so i can test whether i can run two different frequencies at the same time?

i need two athlon mp's to do that....an athlon xp and mp combo, or two athlon xp combo won't work as a dual processor system. i think it would run it as if it was a single processor system...atleast that's how i understand the explanation from asus's webiste

-----------------

about overclocking, that's good . i'm really not interested in that, and one of the big reasons i went with this is because it is very stable. i haven't had any hardware problems due to the mobo or cpu's.....even though i underpowered them for a long time (and probably am now) and have run it by accident with a fan stopped (it was caught in a ide cable). the computer just keeps kicking and is as solid as it first was

Linux Engineer
    You can do a trick that makes the motherboard believe it's an MP, AFAIK, but that should involve some modding on your processor I'm not gonna recommend you that, but you're right, I forgot you were using MP's... If it's simple, it's just connecting pins, if not, it's gonna involve cutting/connecting some bridges and stuff...

Maybe you should just go to a good hardware shop (for example for server systems?) and ask there if you can use two different cpu's at the same time?

Linux Enthusiast
    You can do a trick that makes the motherboard believe it's an MP, AFAIK, but that should involve some modding on your processor I'm not gonna recommend you that, but you're right, I forgot you were using MP's... If it's simple, it's just connecting pins, if not, it's gonna involve cutting/connecting some bridges and stuff...

Maybe you should just go to a good hardware shop (for example for server systems?) and ask there if you can use two different cpu's at the same time?
    lol...yea, serious modding (cutting ) definately isn't my thing. i know i'd mess something up, as i'm very clumsy and get frustrated wtih things easily

i like the computer shop idea...i'll have to start talking to some people so i can find a reliable shop that could give me good answers.

thanks a lot for all your help . i'm a bit more confident about upgrading one (and possibly the other later on) in the future

also, what does "AFAIK" stand for or mean? i've seen it used a few times, but I still don't understand the meaning

Linux Engineer
    As far as I know - don't worry, there are lots of those expressions I don't even know the existence of, let alone the meaning...

No problem, you're welcome!

Linux Enthusiast
    As far as I know - don't worry, there are lots of those expressions I don't even know the existence of, let alone the meaning...

No problem, you're welcome!
    ahhh, ok...that makes sense now lol

thanks again