Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Somoene please help, im a noob to linux, installed Fedora Core 4 about a week ago and i cannot install anything, even more so.. my Audigy 2, Where can i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audigy 2 install, cannot find detailed tutorial anywhere..

Somoene please help, im a noob to linux, installed Fedora Core 4 about a week ago and i cannot install anything, even more so.. my Audigy 2, Where can i get drivers/How do i install them????

Incase the architechture matters im running "x86_64"

I need someone to please point me in the right direction..

Any help will be well apprechiated

Darren

Linux Engineer
    The drivers for Audigy 2 are in the kernel. Open the console, become root, and do this: # modprobe emu10k1

That probes for the Audigy 2 driver. If it doesn't work, do an # insmod emu10k1
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    trying the # modprobe thing just made my terminal go down to the next line, is that correct?

when that happend nothing happend... the the soundcard detection said i had the right soundcard, BUT the sound didnt play...

i am so confused

Linux Newbie
    You may need to turn the volume up, this had me stumped for days... I don't know why the default volume is zero.

If you're using alsa you can use alsamixer to set the volume, and to save the mixer levels I *think* the command is alsactl store.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdodd13
    and to save the mixer levels I *think* the command is alsactl store.
    That is correct.

In later kernels, the module is ca0106. Modprobe that, and if it doesn't load, you may need to re-compile your kernel with it built in. I fought my audigy for a long time, having similar problems. emu10k1 would load, the volume would be up in alsamixer and songs would even appear to play in Xmms, but I had no sound.

I upgraded to the 2.6.12.2 kernel and added support for audigy LS with ca0106 and everything is now working well. Hope this helps.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by slugshead
    trying the # modprobe thing just made my terminal go down to the next line, is that correct?

when that happend nothing happend... the the soundcard detection said i had the right soundcard, BUT the sound didnt play...

i am so confused
    If you don't get any messages, that's great, that means it is loaded. If you get messages, it will be 'FATAL: could not load ...' most of the time

So don't worry, it's a bit strange at first, yes...

Just Joined!
    still, no sound, the soundcard detection says its there and the play sound thing plays nothing

the speakers are on, volume up all the way..

the alsa settings are all turned up and unmuted..

the kernel is not out dated as i only downloaded the OS a few dyas ago wanting a change from windows, so chose fedora core 4, their lastest version. i did run fedora core 3 a while back, didnt understand it so i went back to windows... then i was using the onboard audio on my motherboard which worked without a hitch..

...still no sound, is there no way in which my audigy 2 can play sound

the sound driver is snd-emu10k1..

Linux Engineer
    If you want to stick with fedora, ok, but I would recommend SuSE. In my experience Fedora is far too buggy.

Did you try modprobing ca0106? That is the module my audigy works under.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    i'm not sure how you would find out as i'm using gentoo, but do you have "alsa-utils" and "alsa-tools" installed?

my sound didn't start working until i installed those...then it worked without a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast