Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
thats wat i did i got the max sync rates and the refresh rates and certain resolutions. thats the info i came up with...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

thats wat i did
    i got the max sync rates and the refresh rates and certain resolutions. thats the info i came up with

Linux Engineer
    Do you also have the min sync rates? That's as important as the max...

Anyway, when you're asked to put those in, you just have to select the option 'custom range' if yours doesn't show up in the list of choices. Then put the min & max in and proceed. The problem is, the max resolution depends also on your video card (remember to choose the right driver!).

Are both monitors the same size in inches & max. resolution? If not you have a problem. X will take always the max allowed resolution (you can lower the resolutions though, that has also to be set in X).

So where do you get stuck? At grub or not? Some clarity please...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

sry i didnt see the other post. to answer those questions , ill try the ctr+alt+f1-f7. its not that it goes straight into grub. it will boot fine. but when i get into the login screen where it asks for ur username and password. where it gets graphical my monitor goes black before that. im sure i have to set the x. its just i dont know how to use the whole console part. i would be easier if i could actually get into linux with the whole graphical part but it turns black. im going to try the console thing with the whole key combination see how that works out for me. one more question just to be sure. how do u know your logged in as root. and if im not how do i do it?

Thanks,
    Tomek

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You see, you just have to setup X, and if you have problems, you need to do that in the console (or Command Line Interface, CLI). You better get acquainted with it, you're gonna need it, hate it in the beginning, but love it after time .

Logging in as root is done like this: just type 'root', press enter, and then, you type the root password. I hope you set a password and remember it, otherwise you're stuck.

alright the crt is 17 inch. both monitors run at the same resolution im sure of it. when i go into the info using the monitor it says horizontal 64 kHz V: 60 Hz so im gonna try and pick out of the list. I dont get stuck at any screens its just if i want to boot normally the monitor goes black when it starts to get graphical. (i.e. when it asks for username and pass) even with the screen black i know wat its asking for and so i put in my username with the keyboard eventhough i cant see anything and my pass and i can hear my hard drive working so the computer is still running regardless of the monitor. alright im gonna go and try to get into the console like u told me but first when do i hold that alt+ctrl+f1??

Linux Engineer
    When you get stuck... There are multiple sessions possible. If you get stuck in one, you just switch to another one and carry on with your work Great, no?

As for the monitor: the sync is a range. It is mentioned in the spec sheet of your monitors. Check it out

For the resolution, set the max possible for both monitors.

when i do a custom range should i consider both monitor ranges and just do something like 120 - 30 so that both are supported? or is that not reccomended?

hmm, well i went into grub and then i pressed the alt+ctrl+(chose f7). typed in xorgconfig and it didnt seem to work. i have a fealing that im still not in the console. i also tried typing in root and pressing enter then typing in my pass but didnt even give me a message or anything. kinda wierd.

Linux Engineer
    Please read your monitors' documentation... A range is for example 40-150 for vertical, and 31.5-48 for vertical I think. Ranges go from low to high.

Is there anything that indicates you are still in grub? When booting, normally a distro shows a whole lot of stuff...

unfortunatley i dont really know.i thought pressing alt+ctrl+(F1-F7) it takes u to the console.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast