Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
hi, i bring my PC with me to work and back home. im using fedora core 4 and when i bring it over here to work and hook it up. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problems with using a different monitor

hi, i bring my PC with me to work and back home. im using fedora core 4 and when i bring it over here to work and hook it up. the monitor seems to shut off when it gets to the graphical part of linux. i think its because its set to my monitor at home which is a benq and when i hook up the NEC it has conflicts. how would i go about fixing this problem?

Thanks,
    Tom

Linux Engineer
    You have to configure x to set your monitor up the right way (horizontal & vertical refresh rates). Check the specs of your different monitors and configure X so the ranges of the monitors are respected.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

so i would have to wait till i get home so that i can actually get into linux right?

Linux Engineer
    No you just need to know the ranges, and setup X to include both ranges (I mean the ranges from monitor A & B). If B doesn't work, it means the range isn't set correctly for it. So you'll have to look into this and broaden the horizontal and/or vertical range.

yea i just got fedora 4 yesterday so im a complete n00b. so i have no clue about the whole X. i do have a book though that im reading right now trying to look for a step by step.

sorry for my ignorance,
    Tom

Linux Engineer
    Don't apologize for something you don't know yet . You know monitors use refresh frequencies, right? X is the graphical subsystem for Linux. Basically, your WM (KDE, Gnome, ...) runs on top of X, X runs on top of Linux .

Good luck with the reading. Normally, you can configure X by typing the 'xorgconfig' command as root in the console. It will explain what every setting means, so you can do that without any prior knowledge. Sweet, isn't it? You just need to know the refresh rates of both monitors, and make sure they fit into the ranges you set in X.

alright seems like i should be able to get the hang of it. now is GRUB considered console? cause i can only get into grub. i can also get into wat may also be the console. its the screen when it checks and gives the green OKs and then it stops and says something like sh #3.00 or something like that and waits for me to type something. are either of those the consoles?

Thanks,
    Tom

Linux Engineer
    Nope. You have to use ctrl+alt+F1-F7 to switch... It's wonderful . You will switch from session to session... Mostly F7 offers you another text mode session, to which you can login (remember to login as root to configure X!). If you don't get past grub, you have a problem. Have you seen passing by the text 'starting x' or something similar? Or do you get stuck at grub trying to start linux? That's a completely different problem.

oh and the crt that is not working is workng at a much higher refresh rate, proly like 66hz at the resolution i have linux set at and the lcd is somewhere around 40 maybe lower. it says the max sync rate is 76hz so i dunno wat it would be running at in 1280x1024

Linux Engineer
    It is imperative that you find out the monitor specs. Do some googling if you need to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast