Find the answer to your Linux question:
What I've got on my thumbdrive: /mnt/thumbdrive/ is it's location i have a folder at /mnt/thumbdrive/school and i have a .doc file (made in OoWriter) within the school folder as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

*please help me* thumbdrive problem

What I've got on my thumbdrive:
    /mnt/thumbdrive/ is it's location
    i have a folder at /mnt/thumbdrive/school
    and i have a .doc file (made in OoWriter) within the school folder as such /mnt/thumbdrive/school/paper.doc

the thumbdrive is formatted as fat32

I see all of this fine within linux, but when i take it to a windows xp computer, it sees the folders but not paper.doc

what's wrong? i checked for the file from within the file manager, so I don't think it's an issue of whether or not Microsoft Office supports it (though it should as I saved it as an Office XP file)

EDIT: i normally wouldn't have put the *please help me* (and i apologize for doing so) but i really need this fixed. i have to get this printed soon (or atleast get this fixed) as the paper is due tomorrow morning.

Linux Enthusiast
    ok...so i got the file to show up within windows now. i moved it within a terminal as root from my home directory to the thumbdrive's mount point

but now, windows is complianing that it needs a converter to open it. is this a normal problem that arises when you save a file from openoffice as a microsoft office file? how would i fix this?

Linux Enthusiast
    got it fixed...sort of

i saved it as a .rtf (rich text format) and now it works fine

apparently you need to unmount it for it to save too (didn't know this before)

oh well...got it working, that's all that matters

thanks to those who took the time to read this