Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have an athlon 64 3000+ and i have mandriva linux 2005 LE...the 64 bit version and i have cannot get some apps to install. I really have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on athlon 64

hi,
    i have an athlon 64 3000+ and i have mandriva linux 2005 LE...the 64 bit version and i have cannot get some apps to install. I really have no idea what i am doing but i go to the install sofware thing and start selecting the ones i want but some are not selectable, errors will pop up and it wont let me install those. I really want some of those programs becasue right now i cant even listen to music on linux and i really want to. So i was wandering if i could install a non 64bit version and if that would work better? or is there a better distro of linux i should try?
    thanks for any help.

Are you using an downloaded version of Mandriva? Could be a bad download. Any distro will work with the AMD 64 as long as it the latest version. Maybe you could give Suse a try.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    i was thinking about suse or debian. so i guess it doesnt matter if it is x86_64?...i can just use a x86 iso?

and yes it was a download.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    No problem at all. X86_64 is more optimized for your hardware, but you won't gain much performance by it. AMD64 is fully 32bit compatible.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    sweet thanks for your help. im thinking im gonna give suse a try. one question. after looking through their website is saw they do have the 64 bit version so ill go for that but is it faster to download the ISOs and burn them to cds and install off them or should i just do the straight ftp install?

thanks for the help too, you guys are quick...greatly appreciated.

btw i am using cable high speed internet if that matters. its a 3 meg connection.