Find the answer to your Linux question:
have the .run file on my desktop. (If it's a needed root action it prompts me to login as root and gives me a login window, the only thing I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MSI GeForce 4600 Ti

have the .run file on my desktop. (If it's a needed root action it prompts me to login as root and gives me a login window, the only thing I do in text is type start x) So, what do I do with this file again? Do I open konsole for this?

Edit: copied your code into console and got this error:

code: wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-4496-pkg2.run && chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run && ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run && nano /etc/X11/XF86Config

ERROR: Unable to find the system utility `ld`; please make sure you have the
    package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed,
    then please check that `ld` is in your PATH.

OK

Is there a certain video card from nvidia I have to d/?

do you have binutils installed?

rpm -qa | grep -i binutils

Just Joined!
    Well...I wouldn't really know. I've typed the code into konsole and nothing happens. So...uhm...you tell me

Then it doesnt seem like you have it installed. You need it. So, install it from your distro cd or something

Like,
    rpm -Uvh binutils*

Just Joined!
    last I knew the nvidia drivers were installed by typing sh NVIDIA....

and you cannot be in X when you do this, change the /etc/inittab file from 5 (default for most installs that boots you to X) to 3 (this will boot you to text mode (console)...

then cd ~/Desktop

then sh NVIDIA....

follow the on screen instructions.

asuming you have pico or nano installed:

pico (nano) /etc/X11/XF86Config (some distros its /etc/X11/XF86Config-4)

scroll down till you see the modules section, in that section you'll see a bunch of Load "...." lines,

make sure you put a # at the begining of the Load line for Dri and (another one that is mentioned in nvidia's readme on their site)

then scroll down to Device section

Look for a line that starts with Driver.. it probably looks something like this" driver= "nv"

change "nv" to "nvidia"

save changes and exit

then trype 'startx'

if you dont have either pico or nano, you can use VI

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4)

when you get in vi hit the 'INSERT' key on your keyboard to get into insert mode.

make the changes suggested above

when you are done hit 'ESC', then ':' (colin) then 'wq' which will save and exit

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Ok, right now it's not even letting me into the rpmdrak. What's up with that? and the sh NVIDIA doesn't work because it says that there is no such file or directory. I'll try a restart to see if the rpmdrak manager will show me a bit more love than it is right now.

Just Joined!
    Well...I got the Nvidia pkg to run, now does this install the latest driver for me of is there anything else that I need to do? I don't really know if it's worked or not because I can't get Tuxracer tu run now. I'm not currently connected to the net at my new place. Does editing the x86 file have to happen?

Yeah.

replace "nv" with "nvidia" and you should be fine if you have done everything correct.

the file is most likely in /etc/X11 and is called XF86Config

Just edit it with nano or pico, and use ^W

Good luck

Just Joined!
    So close yet so far away....I've edited the XF86Config file, but I don't have write permission....guess cause I'm not root. What are the steps for doing this via command line again?