Find the answer to your Linux question:
What are some good AMD processors that are 64bit? Along with a good mobo?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I need a mobo and processor, preferably 64 bit

What are some good AMD processors that are 64bit? Along with a good mobo?
    MCP | Network+

Well at the moment, you can't go wrong with an Athlon 64. I would reccommend that you go with a socket 939 based Athlon as it employs dual-channel ddr ram rather than the single channel which the socket 754 uses. Also by buying a processor based on the 939 socket, a year or so down the line, you can upgrade to the new dual core processors. At this point in time, the best price/performance ratio for an AMD processor is the Athlon 64 3500.

As for mobos, my personal preferance would be to go with an nForce 4 series from Asus or Gigabyte. In my opinion, SLi is a waste of money and there is no real need to go for a mobo which supports this. try either of these mobos Gigabyte K8NF-9, or GIGABYTE K8NXP. I can't seem to find non sli asus boards.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Well at the moment, you can't go wrong with an Athlon 64. I would reccommend that you go with a socket 939 based Athlon as it employs dual-channel ddr ram rather than the single channel which the socket 754 uses. Also by buying a processor based on the 939 socket, a year or so down the line, you can upgrade to the new dual core processors. At this point in time, the best price/performance ratio for an AMD processor is the Athlon 64 3500.

As for mobos, my personal preferance would be to go with an nForce 4 series from Asus or Gigabyte. In my opinion, SLi is a waste of money and there is no real need to go for a mobo which supports this. try either of these mobos Gigabyte K8NF-9, or GIGABYTE K8NXP. I can't seem to find non sli asus boards.
    Thank you for the info. I should have added some info last night aswell. I have a desktop currently (ASUS P4C800) with a P4 3GHz. 2GB of memory (PC3200 DDR400) and 2 SATA 80GB hard disks currently running a dual boot (WinXP & Debian 3.1). I would still like to use most of my memory (4 x 512MB), my HDD, and my AGP video card.
    MCP | Network+

Quote Originally Posted by COKE CAN
    Thank you for the info. I should have added some info last night aswell. I have a desktop currently (ASUS P4C800) with a P4 3GHz. 2GB of memory (PC3200 DDR400) and 2 SATA 80GB hard disks currently running a dual boot (WinXP & Debian 3.1). I would still like to use most of my memory (4 x 512MB), my HDD, and my AGP video card.
    You should have no trouble moving all your hardware onto the new motherboard. I swapped my RAM, video card, harddrives, sound card and case over to an AMD64 board and processor and everything worked just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You should have no trouble moving all your hardware onto the new motherboard. I swapped my RAM, video card, harddrives, sound card and case over to an AMD64 board and processor and everything worked just fine.
    The only problem I am seeing is with the 939 socket, they all have PCIe.
    MCP | Network+

Linux Newbie
    Looks like I am going with a 939 Socket 3500+ and a Gigabyte motherboard with nForce chipset. All under $300, I hope that's good.
    MCP | Network+

Not all have PCIe. This MSI K8N Neo2-F has AGP and the regular complement of PCI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130514
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Not all have PCIe. This MSI K8N Neo2-F has AGP and the regular complement of PCI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130514
    The one I ordered has an AGP
    MCP | Network+

According to the guys at SilentPCReview, the best price/performance is a (socket 939) Athlon 64 3000 or 3200 with Venice core. It also runs very cool and thus potentially very quiet.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    I am using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 that does not support PCIe and I must admit its the dogs dangly bits.