Find the answer to your Linux question:
We just got a Brother HL-2070N Laser Printer that can use ethernet. We're connecting it through the router, and I would like for someone to give me an idea of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Brother printer through router

We just got a Brother HL-2070N Laser Printer that can use ethernet. We're connecting it through the router, and I would like for someone to give me an idea of how to set it up to work with my linux box (Gentoo).

Thanks in advance!

Linux Enthusiast
    *bump*

i really need this to work within the next week or so (before school starts)

the last printer i had plugged in never worked for me (drivers didn't work or i didn't install it correctly), so i don't know the steps to getting this to work. can someone please link me to a site with the drivers and instructions (if possible). or at least the site that has all the linux printer drivers . i remember seeing it around here before, but don't know where it went

Linux Newbie
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    thanks for the links

i got stuck somewhere though. i'm following the third link's instructions (from Brother). I downloaded the LPR file and cupswrapper file. they are both rpm's...being that I use gentoo, that's not very ideal so i used rpm2targz and converted the rpm files to tar.gz files and uncompressed them (that's all i did with them). i then tried going to "http://localhost:631" in the browser, but it gives me a message saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631".

i'm now emerging "rpm"...the "Redhat Package Management Utils" to see if that'll help getting the drivers installed.

Any help/comments would be appreciated

Linux Enthusiast
    ok...so i now have "rpm" emerged and when i tried installing the lpr file i got this error:
    Code:
    rpm -ihv --nodeps
    brhl2030lpr-1.1.2-2.i386.rpmcomp josh # rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacepkgs --force brhl2070nlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       1:brhl2070nlpr           ########################################### [100%]
    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.98114: line 3: /etc/init.d/lpd: No such file or directory
    error: %post(brhl2070nlpr-1.1.2-2) scriptlet failed, exit status 127
    the --replacepkgs one was added by me as i was trying to install it a second time because i got this error. the --force was added because the instructions (http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s..._install3.html) said, if you receive an error add --force.

please help me with this

thanks in advance

Linux Enthusiast
    bump
    can someone help me with this new rpm problem...?

edit: omg...never mind, not using rpm's for this. it has a million dependencies of things i already have installed (but from source). maybe i should just search for a source driver....i'm now messing around with the linuxprinting.org link

Linux Engineer
    It's fairly important that we know what make and model of router that you're using. Is the print server integrated in the printer or in the router?
    Does your printer support ghostscript? I think you rather need to download the PSD file from linuxprinting.org for your printer and then place it in a 'model' directory somewhere at the cups directory.

I configured my 'network' printer this way:
    - choose for printing type LPR
    - type LPR://192.168.123.254/lp (print queue on my router - integrated print server)
    - then you should be able to choose the correct driver.

You should find out the IP of your printer (if it has an integrated print server, then it should get an ip address; easy to find out which belongs to the printer, it won't be that many). Then try the settings as a described above.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    ^^^
    i think my printer supports ghostscript...the driver that i need shows up in the list of available devices when i type:
    Code:
    gs -h
    ...the driver is "hl1250"

the printer plugs into the router through an ethernet connection...i believe the printer server will be in the printer, as the router (as far as i know) thinks it's just another computer.

the ip address for the printer is: 192.168.1.105

....i'm now trying your steps

thanks a lot for helping me here

EDIT: how do i "choose for printing type LPR"?

Linux Enthusiast
    *bump*