Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a problem capturing videos from my DV-Camera (Canon MVX40) via firewire. My firewire-card is configured and the system does see the card (chipset Agere FW323-06). But Iím ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

video-capturing Suse 9.2 - camera not seen by system

Hi,

I have a problem capturing videos from my DV-Camera (Canon MVX40) via firewire. My firewire-card is configured and the system does see the card (chipset Agere FW323-06). But Iím not able making my camera being seen by the system.

Iím running a Suse 9.2 system with the following modules loaded via modprobe: raw1394, ohci1394, video1394 and dv1394. I can see the modules when I check with lsmod. The permissions on the /dev/1394 are set for all user. And Iíve tried several PCI-slots with the firewire-card. Even gscanbus doesnít find the camera but the card saying no device is attached. dvgrab an kino doesnít find the camera as well. Iíve alos tried to switch the camera on and playing a tape when booting linux.

Please tell me what is missing or what I can do to find the problem, as I donít have any tool telling me what doesnít work.

Regards,
    Tom

Linux Newbie
    I had the same problem with my camera. Check out this link, the third graphic down under "capturing"

http://www.robfisher.net/video/kino.html

On mine, I have to plug it camera in, turn on the power, then start kino. If I dont do it in that order, it doesn't work for some reason. Click on the AV/C button you see in the graphic i posted. It then configures itself, and I can control the camera with the arrow buttons on the botom of the graphic.

I also run suse 9.2, with a samsung minidv. This was my first camcorder, and I had no idea what I was doing or what to expect. I know its not a very technical answer, but that got mine working, hope it helps.
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your try helping me. I compiled the kernel 2.6.12 and now it works!!

Regards,
    Tom211

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    (excuse me for my dab english.

i work with a Kaella 2.0.1 (french knoppix-debian ) kernel 2.6.11 on HDD
    with MS 6330 K7T Pro2-A motherboard
    processorr ADM Duron 1200
    graphic Card ATI RAGE ULTRE EXCALIBUR 32M
    Bus PCI IEEE1394 DACOMEX F-152 (NEC single chip IEEE 1394 controler uPD72874.
    and a DV-Camera Canon MVX45i

And i have the same problem.
    But Iím not able making my camera being seen by the system.

Iím running a Suse 9.2 system with the following modules loaded via modprobe: raw1394, ohci1394, video1394 and dv1394. I can see the modules when I check with lsmod. The permissions on the /dev/1394 are set for all user. And Iíve tried several PCI-slots with the firewire-card. Even gscanbus doesnít find the camera but the card saying no device is attached. dvgrab an kino doesnít find the camera as well. Iíve alos tried to switch the camera on and playing a tape when booting linux.
    Could you tel me your kernel2.6.12 configuration ( for recent device ) in your case (modules...)

It would help me to find a solution ( perhaps compiling the kernel 2.6.12).

Thank you

jťrŰme

Just Joined!

Canon on Linux - camcorder

I compiled the 2.6.12 kernel with standard settings. The only thing you have to make sure is the ieee1394 support is activated.
    As I wrote you have to load the modules raw1394, ohci1394, video1394 and dv1394 via modprobe and check with lsmod that these are loaded correctly. The permissions on /dev/1394 have to be set for all users. To make it a bit easier try your camera as root.

Have you tried gscanbus? What does dvgrab say? Have you tried another PCI-slot for your firewire-card? Do you see the firewire-card with lspci?

There is a really good FAQ-site on http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...linux1394-user.
    Also check http://www.linux1394.org.

Just to be on the save site: Check your connection between camera and card and switch your camera to play

Let me know, whether it works or what the above mentioned commands say if not. I noticed that my camera does not work with dvgrab, when I have kino loaded.

Regards,
    Tom