Find the answer to your Linux question:
I built a new machine a few months back with a VBIT motherboard and a 3.4GHz Pentium Prescott. I went with the maximum amount of memory the 478 socket can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Memory Limitation in 32 bit SuSE ?

I built a new machine a few months back with a VBIT motherboard and a 3.4GHz Pentium Prescott. I went with the maximum amount of memory the 478 socket can handle, 4GB. I figured you can never have too much memory, right?

Well... .... my Windows XP install partition only sees 3GB. The MS info I've found on the web says tough, that' s just the way it is, and the reason is a functional limitation of the 32 bit architecture.

Except that my SuSE 9.3 Pro install can see all 4096 MB....does that mean the 32 bit version of SuSE (or any other Linux distro) can address all 4 GB of memory?

Except that my SuSE 9.3 Pro install can see all 4096 MB....does that mean the 32 bit version of SuSE (or any other Linux distro) can address all 4 GB of memory?
    Yes, SuSE can address 4GB of memory.
    http://www.novell.com/products/linux...nal/64bit.html
    large memory support

Current 32-bit processors can handle up to 4GB of random access memory.
    Well... Shocked .... my Windows XP install partition only sees 3GB. The MS info I've found on the web says tough, that' s just the way it is, and the reason is a functional limitation of the 32 bit architecture.
    WindowsXP can also address 4GB of memory, the reason that you don't see all of it is due to a setting to your boot.ini file.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate