Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people, I'm new here so this seems as good a place as any to say hi and ask a question. Hi. Has anyone had any real-world experience of running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux + nforce4 s939 boards

Hello people, I'm new here so this seems as good a place as any to say hi and ask a question. Hi.

Has anyone had any real-world experience of running a Linux distro on a new nforce4 based motherboard?

I'm thinking of building a system based on something like the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 NF4 Ultra which seems to have a shed load of features to carry me a little while into the future, but I wonder what the support on Linux is like for this? I'm not fussed which distro would work best (I currently have Debian 3.1, Mandriva & CentOS installed) - I'm willing to play around to see what works.

Specifically, if anyone has experience with the SATA + RAID support as well as the gigbit ethernet on the above board/chipset I'd really appreciate you insights. Thoughts on other simailar boards would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks loads,

cjp

Linux Newbie

linux experience

Hey.. I have 3 computers, linux worked on all but one... Guess which one... Asus A8n-sli deluxe nForce4..

that was about 4 months ago. My problem was drivers, I had to use nForce3; NO SOUND

other than no sound the operating system worked fine. I use SuSE 9.3 .

hope this helps. I should reload it to see if I can get it to work now.
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Just Joined!

RE: linux experience

Hey cheers for the reply,

That sounds promising - the board I was lookin had only as AC97' "compatible" sound in it -I'm not too fussed if that works or not as I'm planning on getting an M-Audio pro sound card so I can hook up my guitars nicely. I've always got an old PCI soundcard which does work on linux, if I need it.

I was looking at the Asus SLI board, but I really don't do games much so I just can't see an SLI board being much use to me.

Cheers again.

Linux Newbie

mobo

I also use an asus p4p800 E deluxe. It can hold like 8 hard drives if you need capacity. IDE, SERIAL,RAID, DUAL CHANNEL RAM, AGP.. I can recommend this one also. Very good for a pentium.
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04