Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm shopping eBay for some new ram for one of my computers and I'm getting conflicting information. The user manual for my Asus ME-99VM motherboard says: "The SiS chipset does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

ECC ram vs. non-ECC

I'm shopping eBay for some new ram for one of my computers and I'm getting conflicting information. The user manual for my Asus ME-99VM motherboard says:
    • "The SiS chipset does not support ECC. However, ECC memory modules may still be used, but the ECC function will not be available."
    In contrast, I have seen a couple of statements similar to this on eBay:
    • "Now you need to make sure your computer (motherboard) will take ECC memory. If your motherboard takes non-ECC (non-error checking) this ECC stick will not work in there."
    So which is right? Thanks for your input.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    Maybe you could check with SiS themselves, on their website? I always thought ECC & non-ECC memory were not interchangeable. I know SiS does more of those things (making chipsets with AGP & PCI-E 16x support, stuff like that), so I presume it's a special feature for that chipset. But I did some googling, and apparently some chipsets do support both. The difference between ECC & non-ECC is the extra chip on the ECC DIMM. But I suppose they have the same pin-out, no?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **