Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I would like to know, is it possible to have two functioning sound cards in the one PC? My machine has a Creative SB Live Value card but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Two sound cards in the one machine

Hi all,

I would like to know, is it possible to have two functioning sound cards in the one PC? My machine has a Creative SB Live Value card but there is also an on-board Via Technologies card in the machine which is not disabled. I presume it doesn't work but each distro installs a driver for it, as does Windows and as those of you who've seen my other postings will know that some distros default to the on-board card whcih then can't be changed.

Here's my question, I have a spare set of PC speakers, if I plug them in, while the main set is still connected to the SB Live card, is there any danger of damage? Can a PC run 2 sound cards at the same time? Also, if it can be done through Linux, does anyone know what might happen when I boot into Windows with two sets of speakers connected? Please note that XP and Win 2000 have drivers installed for both, does that mean I can use both sound card at the same time?

Thanks,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

This is resolved,I plugged in the speakers and found that all was well. Linux will only utilise one sound card and ignore the other, Windows seems to do likewise but you can disable one card in the Device Manager, just to be safe.

Martin,

Dublin, Irelnad
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    This is resolved,I plugged in the speakers and found that all was well. Linux will only utilise one sound card and ignore the other, Windows seems to do likewise but you can disable one card in the Device Manager, just to be safe.

Martin,

Dublin, Irelnad
    Thank you Martin from Dublin.
    I was wondering what would happen if speakers were plugged into both audio outlets in Linux.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ