Hi,

After my installation of Kubuntu Linux (KDE), an "informational message" pops up stating my sound is not working. I went to the Ubuntu Forums for help and so far I have not had a solution to the problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=329439

Or if you don't feel like reading the thread, I'll provide some information here.

Code:
Sound server information message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
I believe I have a Realtek sound card and under the command line "$ groups" Audio IS in the list. Sound in Windows works perfectly, so I would like to think that the problem is with Kubuntu.

I've found this post to be most helpful from the above thread:

Hi, it seems you are not alone with your problem, my system (and many others) appears to be doing the same. After trawling google for hours and trying different methods (none of which worked for me) I managed to fix the problem on my system with stunning ease!

I have a logitech 'communicate' webcam (usb), and for reasons better known to its self, (k)ubuntu was trying to use that as a sound card! I turned of the pc, unplugged it, restarted and hey presto - we have sound!!

So my next question - how can I stop my system getting confused so I can use my webcam again!?

But at least I have sound!! \\/

This may not be what is causing your problem but you never know - hope this helps,

Mark B-)
So unplugging my webcam didn't work, but its possible that Kubuntu is thinking other devices are my sound card when they are indeed not.

Also, this is a little off-topic, but I've noticed that download rates in Linux are at about 1-1.5mbps when download rates on Windows are about 100kbps-300kbps on my computer. Is there any way to fix this on Windows?

All help is appreciated.
-Jeremy.