Find the answer to your Linux question:
Its a winmodem and it gets stuck on initialization. (im using kppp I believe is its name) I tried different types of init but they dont work and neither does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Modem stuck on initilization

Its a winmodem and it gets stuck on initialization. (im using kppp I believe is its name) I tried different types of init but they dont work and neither does changing the idle time between making it initalize. Is the modem not supported or is there some other problem? Any ideas? thanks
    Registered Linux user #390336

Linux Newbie

modem help

Possible Kppp which is the dialer for dialup is not configured correctly. Also ....AOL does not support linux except for Linspire distro or by using a special dialer that has never worked for me. Check your ISP for linux compatibilty.

Check hardware compatibilty lists, but be advised they are not foolproof. Check to see if your modem is even recognized in the hardware section of your OS, and if the drivers are installed.

You have a project in front of you if this is a PCI modem. Even linux compatible PCI modems require drivers that must match your kernel version. You could find drivers tommorow or it could take weeks. I have installed internal PCI modems. The installation takes 5 minutes. Gathering the drivers, kernel sources, etc. can take a long time.

Highly recommend to resist the urge to use PCI modem and use external serial ( NOT USB!-they are usually winmodems)hardware modem for following reasons:

1. External serial port hardware modems require no drivers under linux
    2. These modems are generally faster than PCI modems. ( my Intel PCI 536ep modem transfers files at 2.8-3.0 kb/s. my external serial hdwr modem speed is 3.8-4.2 kb/s)
    3. these modems can be purchased at local thrift shops for less than $5. If not, google for Actiontech or BestData external serial modem.

good luck

Linux Guru

Re: modem help

Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b
    3. these modems can be purchased at local thrift shops for less than $5. If not, google for Actiontech or BestData external serial modem.
    External serial modems are definitely the way to go. eBay is another useful source for inexpensive hardware. Twice I have gotten a US Robotics modem from eBay for about $25 including shipping. That's for a modem that sells for about $90 retail. Just make sure it includes the power supply and modem cable if needed. If you don't have an available serial port, a $30 PCI serial + parallel port card is available.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close