Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is going to sound a little bit weird but I am currently running Suse Linux 8.1 Pro on an AMD SMP motherboard. If I shutdown the system via KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shutting Down

This is going to sound a little bit weird but I am currently running Suse Linux 8.1 Pro on an AMD SMP motherboard.
    If I shutdown the system via KDE, SHUTDOWN or INIT 0 I will be unable to start it up the next time by pressing the ON Switch. I'll have to take out the Power in lead for a few seconds and then I'll be able to start the system up by pressing the ON Switch. Now what I have been doing is "REBOOT" instead SHUTDOWN and then when Linux says Please wait while system is rebooting I'll press the ON/OFF Switch and hold it down until the system is OFF. Well by doing it this way next time I can simply press the ON Switch and It will start OK.

So does anyone here knows of a Kernel Parameter that I can add to the boot prompt to overcome this issue?

What about using the command shutdown -h now?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

try this

yeah try this "shutdown -h -t now now" i use SuSe 8.2 and have used older kernal versions and this has always worked so try it . i know that if your system isnt shutdown properly the damage is ALOT worst in linux than in windows :-/ so be careful i have had to reformat before cause my hard drive wont load linux cause some error was cause when i shutdown improperly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm having a similar problem....

I'm using Red Hat 9.0

When I go to shut down everything goes normaly, and everything software wise shuts down but the computer does not... the last thing to get shut down is the HD and I can hear is widing down but the power does not go off... Anyone has any ideas why this is or is it just the way Linux works that it does not send a signal to the mobo to stop the PSU?

Or is there a comand i should use?

Thanks dukes

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by birdofprey
    I'm having a similar problem....

I'm using Red Hat 9.0

When I go to shut down everything goes normaly, and everything software wise shuts down but the computer does not... the last thing to get shut down is the HD and I can hear is widing down but the power does not go off... Anyone has any ideas why this is or is it just the way Linux works that it does not send a signal to the mobo to stop the PSU?

Or is there a comand i should use?

Thanks dukes
    I think that's the way RH works. My installation shut down the hd last ans left a message saying 'Power down'.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    3 electrons N. of the 2nd nutrino on the Right
    This is what I do for my Slackware system that was doing the same thing, this might help you out:

1.Uncomment the apm line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
    2. Add to your grub or lilo if it's not already there: append="apm=power-off"

Please note that you need to have the apm supportenabled in your existing kernal

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imyrryr
    This is what I do for my Slackware system that was doing the same thing, this might help you out:

1.Uncomment the apm line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
    2. Add to your grub or lilo if it's not already there: append="apm=power-off"

Please note that you need to have the apm supportenabled in your existing kernal

Hope this helps
    Many thanks, this is going to my techbook info, for safe keeping. Mean while I had my system rebuiled with Suse 9.0 when it got released a couple of months ago and it all works fine.