Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to play a CD on my computer and it didn't work. I tested the sound with the Control Center and it didn't work either These are the specs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Soundcard not working

I tried to play a CD on my computer and it didn't work. I tested the sound with the Control Center and it didn't work either

These are the specs of my sound card:

SOUND DRIVER: 3.8.1 a-980706
    CARD CONFIGURATION: ESS-Allegro PCI at 0x1000, irq 5
    MIXERS: ESS Technology ESS1988
    AUDIO DEVICES: 0: Allegro (DUPLEX)

How can I make my computer play CDs and actually hear them playing?

Regards,

-d-

What errors do you get?

Also, have you tried running alsaconf to configure your sound card? Try as root:
    Code:
    alsaconf
    If your card is recognized, configure it and then run:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and turn up all the volumes. Make sure to push 'm' on the settings that are muted (have MM at the bottom of the volume control). Then run:
    Code:
    alsactl store
    to store your settings.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    first of all make sure that your volumes are unmuted. linux is muted by default so open up a terminal and open a mixer with "alsamixer" and unmute all volumes with the arrow keys and hit esc to quit the process. then try playing sound. this usually solves the issue. you will have to do this at every boot unless you save the new configurations with "alsactl store" or something along those lines.

if this doesn't work you will have to install the driver with the alsa project. your vendor is here in the alsa matrix. I'm not sure which driver it is because none seem to be an exact match, but you can try them out, there is a good wiki on the alsa project's site that can get you set up pretty quickly. again, if you have to do this don't forget to unmute the sound upon reboot.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

ALSA

Brian,

You must be very good at this... How did you know that I already tried alsaconf?

Anyway, I tried the alsaconf configure my sound card after installing. From what I saw in the very first attempt, it is a very user friendly step by step process that, after completed, removes my sound mixer icon and doesn't work when tested,,,

I am not sure what I did wrong and why the sound mixer disappeared...

Now, I haven't ran alsamixer and the alsactl store you mention in your post. Since I am starting from scratch (yet, one more time...) I don't want to mess up (not to forget that I am very intimidated by the sole thought of opening a console and typing commands that I am hardly familiar with)

:drown:

Anyhow, I will try those two commands you mention in your post and see if I can make my computer talk.

genesus,

I figured out that I needed to install the driver from alsa but then got stuck in the alsaconf step. The remaining two steps you mention are also suggested by Brian...

I am very, very afraid of the console panel...

Somebody console me...

Quote Originally Posted by daacosta
    Brian,

You must be very good at this... How did you know that I already tried alsaconf?
    I'm psychic .

Don't be afraid of the command line interface, its your friend . If you never use it, you will never grasp the full potential of Linux.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    first of all make sure that your volumes are unmuted. linux is muted by default so open up a terminal and open a mixer with "alsamixer" and unmute all volumes with the arrow keys and hit esc to quit the process. then try playing sound. this usually solves the issue. you will have to do this at every boot unless you save the new configurations with "alsactl store" or something along those lines.

if this doesn't work you will have to install the driver with the alsa project. your vendor is here in the alsa matrix. I'm not sure which driver it is because none seem to be an exact match, but you can try them out, there is a good wiki on the alsa project's site that can get you set up pretty quickly. again, if you have to do this don't forget to unmute the sound upon reboot.
    Dammit why are they muted by default???

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus

Dammit why are they muted by default???
    To drive you insane!

Bryan