Find the answer to your Linux question:
Too funny...so now my linux box randomly crashes after installing the nVidia drivers for my card (ASUS V6600 card)! Yeah, it is pretty old, but it works. I think it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GeForce 256...

Too funny...so now my linux box randomly crashes after installing the nVidia drivers for my card (ASUS V6600 card)! Yeah, it is pretty old, but it works. I think it has something to do with the AGP settings...

The reason why I am kinda laughing is that I had plenty of problems with this setup (the vid card with my Abit KT7-RAID board) many years ago in windows...and, I suppose naive, I figured that once I had the right drivers installed in linux, the problem would go away:) Once a hardware issue, always a hardware issue, perhaps...

Anyways, now I get to troubleshoot and tweak until I get this working right. I can use the VESA driver without an issue, but the resolution doesn't get to where I like (1268x1024). I can't stand being stuck in 1024x768, which I am with the VESA driver.

So, is it possible to get to 1268x1024 using the VESA driver??? I have an Optiquest Q95 monitor, and that is all setup correctly. Minus the random crashing, the nvidia driver gave me all the settings I wanted and worked fine...anyways, just asking in case I can't work out the bugs with the nvidia driver. Thanks!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

which nvidia drivers are you using? the last one for older cards i.e. pre geforce2 is the 7174 series.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Yeah, that is the one I am using. I just went down to the supported card list and picked the latest one that have a Geforce 256.

I thought I found an Option (for forcing AGP) that would resolve my random locking position, but it didn't. I left my machine running last night, checked it after about 3 hours, before going to bed, and it was still running. When I checked in this morning, before heading into work, the machine was locked up.

I haven't seen any error messages in any of my logs, which makes sense, because it is a hardware issue. Any suggestions? Is there another type of driver or setting that I might be able to use? I am not really needing the card for gaming, so that is not an issue, but if there is a way I can get into 1280x768, I would be happy. I know my card and monitor can handle that resolution, its just not stable with the nvidia driver...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have been doing some more research...are there any decent "generic" drivers, other than the VESA frame buffer ones that I currently use to get up to 1280x768 resolution???

I have hit on one, but it cost money to purchase...didn't know if any of you were using non-nvidia but still accelerated video drivers?

I am going to keep posting as I find more information, just for posterioties sake...

I found some more "Options" that I am going to give a try. I am still using the nvidia driver, so we will see how stable that is.

I did figure out the xorg has a default nv driver, so if the nvidia driver does not solve me lockup problems, I will see what this nv driver is doing...

If that doesn't resolve this issue, then I guess I am stuck with a vesa driver or buying a different vidcard...which, actually won't be that big a deal. I could probably easily upgrade from my geforce 256 for under $40...hopefully one of these solutions work, cause I hate solving a problem by throwing a little money at it:)

you commented out the respective lines in the xorg.conf file before loading the nvidia driver right? cos i had similar problems with it when i didn't comment out certain lines e.g. replace load dri and somthing else with load glx.

Have you also tried to run the card on a slower agp speed e.g. 2x or 1x instead of 4x?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by deek
    I have been doing some more research...are there any decent "generic" drivers, other than the VESA frame buffer ones that I currently use to get up to 1280x768 resolution???

I have hit on one, but it cost money to purchase...didn't know if any of you were using non-nvidia but still accelerated video drivers?
    Damn. That sucks.

Yeah, I have commented out the appropriate lines (based on documentation and other poster's examples).

I will give the slower AGP a try...but who knows.

I thought I was going to have some luck with the "nv" driver that comes with Xorg, but it locked up too, after 3 hours or so. So far, the only luck I have had is with the "vesa" driver, and like I said, if I could get one more jump in resolution (1280x1024), I would be cool...but I still can't find any way to force the "vesa" driver up that high...

Well, my box seems to be stable now. No crashes since Friday...

I am using nvidia's latest driver (for my hardware, 7167 IIRC). Basically, I had to turn RenderAccel and FastWrites "off" and no more crashes. Seeing I am not playing any games, I really don't care about the performance hit.

Now, my problem is, that I have to fix this in win2k also:) I reformatted and repartioned my box last week to setup dual-boot on my main box, so now I have to redo all the fixes, tweaks and patches I once had in win2k with this setup to make IT stable...fun stuff:)

But, linux is now running solid and stable!!!