Find the answer to your Linux question:
After painstakingly locating all the album artwork for my mp3's online (ok, I had a piece of code do it, but it was still pretty painstaking!!), my external hard drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My hard drives are dying one by one.....

After painstakingly locating all the album artwork for my mp3's online (ok, I had a piece of code do it, but it was still pretty painstaking!!), my external hard drive (where I put it all, plus my mp3s, fotos, etc) has died. Not in a dramtic way, it just stopped working in the middle of saving a file, and now refuses to be recognised (which means I can't run scandisk, etc.) A virus scan shows nothing. I'm pretty sure it's toast and it's gonna cost me a bundle to get it back, so I'm really just looking for sympathy......

On top of this I have started getting problems booting my laptop from its internal hdd. About once in every three bootup attempts it stalls at the point where it should be finding the bootsector of the hard drive, and reports back that "No operating system can be found". After this I ctrl-alt-del it and it works fine. Is this a symptom of something nasty happening to my machine?? Is my hdd dying?? Should I back the whole bloody thing up and go buy a Mac (OK, that's a little extreme, but you know what I mean )
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Are your drives made by Fujitsu/Samsung by any chance, just i have have never had one of these drives last a year ?

Quote Originally Posted by brother_mick
    Are your drives made by Fujitsu/Samsung by any chance, just i have have never had one of these drives last a year ?
    No, one was the internal drive of my HP machine (I'm guessing that means it's made by HP as well?), and the other is made by Maxtor.

UPDATE::
    As expected both drives are now toast and I had to send my laptop off to HP for a hard drive replacement, so I'm back to a one partition, windows XP machine .

I'm gonna start fixing that pretty soon, and, cos I fell in love with SUSE9.2 I think I'm gonna stick with them, but I might wait til 10.0 comes out later this month.

I still have to figure out what to do with my "play partition". Before my hard drive died I had just got BeyondLFS set up to where I wanted it, but I dunno if I could be bothered with another 2 or 3 weeks of work, so if anyone has any ideas for another distro I should try, I'm willing to listen to any propaganda!!!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode