Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just tried out a set of USB-only speakers on my laptop and was really impressed that they actually worked. I don't really get it but somehow (after a restart ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Really Impressive USB speakers

I just tried out a set of USB-only speakers on my laptop and was really impressed that they actually worked. I don't really get it but somehow (after a restart unfortunately), these speakers just go in and take over the sound system. They do not use the on-board AC97 hardware. They have only one plug, a USB plug, for both power and audio. It must do some kind of really low-level tinkering because there are no drivers or anything, and it works under linux too.

Anybody know how these work? I'm pretty impressed.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Enthusiast
    Cool! What's the specs? Who manufactured them?

To be honest, their output is a little weak. Especially for watching movies. Talking voices don't really carry too well. Music sounds good but I had to hold the speakers close to me just to watch a DVD (which is why I bought them in the first place . But anyway, it's still very cool and I'm still impressed.

here's their site:

http://www.kmepc.com/B00_products/04...SB_SP_3600.htm

They were fairly cheap on eBay. Especially compared to USB speakers (w/ 1/8" stereo mini-jack connection) I've seen at retailers. Maybe that's why they're low power.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?