Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have a small problem with my keyboard wheel. On a previous install of my ATI drivers (8.13.something I think) the wheel worked fine (105 key generic intl keyboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

keyboard wheel thingy problem

Hi,

I have a small problem with my keyboard wheel. On a previous install of my ATI drivers (8.13.something I think) the wheel worked fine (105 key generic intl keyboard selected via fglrxconfig). After installing 8.16.20 drivers it doesn't work although I selected the same option. It doesn't even work when I re-install the old drivers. Now, I guess that I probably should add something to my xorg.conf keyboard settings, but am not exactly sure what.

Help, anyone?

Oh, and BTW the keyboard is some cheap Sweex model, but it has plenty of optional and extra keys (of which only some work under Linux). Makes me also wonder if there is any way to enable multimedia (play, pause, stop, prev, next, volume up, down) keys under Linux?

There are two popular wats - LinEAK and configuring through the inet keyboard definitions in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet. However I don't see a definition for your Keyboard. If you are using the standard PC-104 keyboard definition in xorg.conf then you will not see any of the extra keys working. Try running the xev app and press each of your extra keys to see what their definitions are. For example when running xev I get this when pressing my volume up -

Code:
    KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x4c00001,
        root 0xd0, subw 0x0, time 13306158, (785,1029), root:(789,1064),
        state 0x2010, keycode 176 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    Post back the part for each key where it says "keycode 176" with its relative code and what the key does, and I'll see if I can patch something together for you. That will enable the keys, then we can look at assigning them.

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

OK. Been playin' around for a while... here are the key codes:

multimedia section of my keyboard:
    stop - 164
    play/pause - 162
    back - 144
    forward - 153
    vol down - 174
    mute - 160
    vol up - 176

btw, if vol/mute keys would control mixer, i'm afraid they won't work anyway. My speakers (4.1 Cambridge Soundworks + SB Live! soundcard) are connected via digital output, and I haven't still found a way to control their volume from Linux. You wouldn't perhaps know how to fix that little problem?

.. back to the keyboard, internet section:
    back (previous page) - 234
    forward (next page) - 233
    stop - 232
    www (browser) - 178
    e-mail - 236
    favorites - 230
    refresh - 231
    search - 229

.. and some other keys:
    power off - 222
    sleep - 223
    win key - 115

... there are also some windows-app launching buttons for which xev registers several keys/codes pressed at once (for ex. 115+26, I'm guessing winkey+e, for My Computer) and some of them just close xev down (like MS Word button)

...and, alas, xev doesn't react at all to my keyboard wheel (which can also be clicked, btw). Now, unfortunately that's the most important thing for me right now, since i don't have a mouse with a wheel (have a 3-button Logitech Pilot), that being the main reason for wich I posted.

Also, I have just downloaded that linEAK, and playing around with it to see what it can do...

Again, I appreciate the help...

Well the good news is that Play/Pause, Stop,Back,Forward,VolUp,VolDown and mute are the standard keycodes. You can use the Trust Keyboard settings to activate these at least, I can talk you through this later. I will try to get the details for the others first and maybe get them all done together. I am doing some research and will be back.

Are you speakers affected when you use say Kmix to turn them up and down?

Just Joined!
    No, the only thing from kmix that works is the surround control, wich for some strange reason just moves the sound from my back speakers to my front ones and vice versa (the speakers are connected properly, if you're wondering, under WinXP everything works like a charm, of course with Creative drivers ). Every other setting, be it from kmix or Yast->Hardware->Sound->Volume settings doesn't do anything.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, made a mistake there. Volume can be controlled from AmaroK, for example, but that's AmaroK's output, not the card one's. Sound in other apps doesn't seem to be affected.

And, I have managed to get almost all the keys working! I used xev to write down the codes, just like you told me. Now, I edited the lineakkbd.def file and added my keyboard model (named it MYKEYB) and keys, set it with lineakd -c MYKEYB, edited lineak.conf and added macros and commands. There are just a few unresolved things:

1. Is there a way to start multiple macros/commands with linEAK depending on wich app is running? For example I want my sound keys to work in xine and amaroK and so forth and so on, since they are still of no use when controlling the mixer itself?

2. I've set the "halt" command to power-off key, but I need root privileges to run it. How safe it is to change permissions (and is it even possible?) on the file so that I can run it as a user?

3. And, I am repeating myself over and over, but keyboard wheel is still dead. However, I have looked at the /var/log/messages and found out that wheel generates an unknown code when pressed but nothing when scrolled. I found a way to set the keycode for pressing it (via setkeycodes), but that feature is not particulary useful to me.

I use KHotKeys in KDE Control Centre to define my macros if that is any good. It's a bit weird to get used to it, but when you do it is great. If you can get your head around DCOP you'll be flying. It provides a nice direct interface with your application. On the other side it will also be possible to set different actions according to conditions, i.e. if amarok is open, send a DCOP request or don't run at all.

Try
    Code:
    showkey -s
    To dump out the wheel keycodes. You will need to run it as root, so su - to it. It will run for 10 seconds after the last keypress so don't freak out when you can't stop it. May require a CTRL+C after it finishes too...

If that doesn't pick up a scancode then I'm not really sure how to make X see it.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I figured the KHotKeys out already. Set up some basic app launch controls from it for my app keys. I'll probably start messing around more with it when I have the time.
    I tried showkey -s but it just ignores any wheel actions. Now, what is strange is that after I ran setkeycodes for the wheel press (set its keycode to 22x, can't remember exactly the code), and xev properly recognized it when pressed, now (after a system restart and I didn't put the command in boot.local script) the key has completely vanished! There is no message in /var/log/messages about an unknown key, and neither xev, showkey or lineakd register the key! I'm afraid I'll just have to leave the whole thing to rest and buy a mouse with a wheel
    Yet, I still can't understand why the d**n wheel thing worked before I updated the ATI drivers (did they mess up something with X.org perhaps?)

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Sorry we didn't get all the way, but I'm glad you got somewhere with your problems (though not the one you posted with ). If I can do any more for you on this just post back.

Just Joined!
    I FIXED IT! I FIXED THE D**N THING! It was in xorg.conf after all, but had nothing to do with the keyboard section. It seems that for some reason, keyboard wheel events are handled like mouse ones (common PS/2 controller, perhaps?). So I just changed the protocol and ZAxisMapping functions in xorg.conf for a wheel mouse, like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
    Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

And voila! Even the wheel scroll speed can be adjusted in the Control Center->Peripherals->Mouse section.

Now, on to the problem of volume control....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast