Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm on my last step for getting my most recent linux system working. I have a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer and I've downloaded the Linux Print Package setup program and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printing in KDE

I'm on my last step for getting my most recent linux system working.

I have a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer and I've downloaded the Linux Print Package setup program and driver from the Samsung site. That works fine as long as I disable CUPS during the installation process. In the end I can print a test page no problem using the Linux Printer Configuration tool.

Now here's the problem - getting that to work through KDE. When I go to the KDE Control Center to set up the printer, the "lp" printer that I just installed is listed, but I can't print a test page (this is using the LPR/LPRng Printer System). If I go to Add Printer/Class I can get as far as where it requests a driver. I point it to the PPD that came from Samsung, but KDE tells me "wrong driver format."

I tried installing CUPS to fix this, but then that breaks the Linux Print Package program that was working only moments before. If I tell KDE to use CUPS as its print system I can install the printer using the PPD file, but am never able to print out a test page no matter how many things I tweak. I can't even print a test page from localhost:631 using a browser. It just stalls out and nothing happens.

Anyway, I know it can work because the Linux Print Package works. How do I get KDE to tap into that??

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Never mind, lol... One word - "foomatic."