Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Alrite as some of you may know i have started building my own computer i got all the parts and i put it together. and guess what, when i put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

The most annoying thing in the world.

Alrite
    as some of you may know i have started building my own computer i got all the parts and i put it together. and guess what, when i put in the power nothing happens. ill run you through the sinario. i and using a very old case from a packard bell pulsar c333 (but everything fits) i'm also using the power supply (300w). i have rewired the power supply plug and have re wired the on/off button plug. it is excatly as it is in the book. i have no pci cards or apg cards just the mboard, a hd, a cdrom and a floppy disk. i have inserted the processor, the heatsink and i have put in the memory (there are 3 dimms and i have 2 256mb chips in the first two slots). i have wired everything rite. i don't know whats wrong because i had the old packard running a day ago. (i have also quadrouple checked everything)
    thanks very much
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Linux User
    Does the led on the mother board light up?

Do you get any beeps or other sounds when trying to turn it on?

When you say "rewired", did you cut and splice wires or just configure how they're plugged in? If you spliced, maybe you have a bad connection somewhere. Worth checking it a fifth time?!?

If the memory was bad or improperly seated, then you should have had a beep or two. If the processor is dead or improperly seated, I suppose that might give you a dead response...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

You might consider that the PSU doesn't work if you get no power at all. I built my own PC in June, and had the same type of thing: everything fitted... But no leds/fans worked. Everything worked after I installed the new unit.

Assuming you've double checked everything (triple check it), if you get no juice when you switch on it could be a dead PSU. Scary fact is that factories consider that if around 10% of their products are defective, that's okay.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    SOrry sorry
    False alarm i got it working, i went out and bought a better (and newer) psu and it works fine.
    thanks in the extreem anyway

although another problem has arose. i have installed windows (sorry this is a gaming box(opengl and directx) and i only have a 6gb hd) but anyway i got it going but when i restarted the computer the bios runs and it hangs on "searching for ide devices..." its running the phoenix bios (if thats any help) this started cause i hit the button for the setup menu and now it just hangs there. can anyone help?

also is there a "desingned for linux" sticker on any website i want to print something out like that and stick it to the case

thanks v much
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Just Joined!
    If you are using a WD HDD I've noticed that they don't like to be a single master on an IDE channel. If you haven't already done it, and if you only have one HDD set it for single mode.

Linux User
    nm...
    Albert Einstein

http://www.domestickers.com/linux2.jpg

i found this at http://www.domestickers.com/page1.htm

but they seem pretty expensive. i will keep an eye out for cheaper ones
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

offtopic: I have on my cabinet

BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast