Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this FAT file system thumbdrive which I was previously able to mount on Redhat LInux 7.2 and read and write from it (as long as I logged in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Corrupted file or folder

I have this FAT file system thumbdrive which I was previously able to mount on Redhat LInux 7.2 and read and write from it (as long as I logged in as superuser) with no problem.

However, there seems to be a folder currently containing corrupted file system which now prevents me from writing to this thumbdrive even after I have logged in as superuser.

I also cannot remove/delete the folder either in linux or windows environment. In fact in windows environment, when I copy this folder to my harddrive, there appears to be nothing in the folder. However I could not open the folder in the thumbdrive or read it at all.

Attempting to open the folder in linux causes me to see a number of files which I cannot delete at all ( the file system was said to be read only).

Right clicking on this thumbdrive on KOnQuEROR however shows that the owner (i.e. the root user) has rights to read and write to this thumbdrive and its folders. When I rightclick on the offensive folder to check its properties, it seems to contain files with ever expanding diskspace, (up to a few GB) when the thumbdrive is only 256 MB.

Can anyone advise what I should do to the thumbdrive to get it working again as I need it to transfer data between my linux and windows machine.

Thanks.

have you tried formatting it?