Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a USB InterAct Axis Pad that I wanted to try and get working in Linux. I really have no clue what I need to do to get it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Trying to get my gamepad working

I have a USB InterAct Axis Pad that I wanted to try and get working in Linux. I really have no clue what I need to do to get it working, I've never done anything with joysticks and/or gamepads before. I figured the first step is to plug it in and check dmesg, so here's what dmesg said:

Code:
    usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    usb 1-1: khubd timed out on ep0in
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: timeout initializing reports

input: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [STD AxisPad] on usb-0000:00:07.2-1
    The timeout thing seems kinda odd though, since my usb mouse and joystick worked fine until i got new ps/2 stuff. So can anyone shed some light onto what I need to do? I know I'll probably need to do some kernel compiling, but other than that I have no clue.

I have a Gravis TiltPad (4 buttons, 2 flippers and a crosspad) that's USB. I didn't have to do anything strange with the 2.6 kernel, aside from make sure the gamepad was plugged in at boot. You might also look at the joystick utility to see if your gamepad is indeed sending button presses. Have you tried using it with something like TuxRacer?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    I haven't tried using it with anything, all I knew to do was plug it in and see what dmesg says. Where can I find this joystick utility? I will download Tux Racer and try it in there. I want to get it working in zsnes.

Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Where can I find this joystick utility?
    If it isn't already included with your distro (*heh heh* forgot, this is valan we're talking about, no distro) you can get it here:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick/
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    this is valan we're talking about, no distro

Linux Engineer
    Hmm i compiled/installed the joydev module and apparently that's all I needed. After loading the module, I fired up zsnes and it recognized my gamepad fine.