Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im looking at purchasing a new server, and wanted to use a DVD rewriter as a backup solution. On the "choice of drive" part, i saw this: PLEASE NOTE: With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

DVD-R / DVD+R - Whats the difference?

Im looking at purchasing a new server, and wanted to use a DVD rewriter as a backup solution. On the "choice of drive" part, i saw this:

PLEASE NOTE: With the DVD writer, Linux only supports the DVD-R/RW function and not the DVD+R/RW function at this time.
    Wasnt too sure what exactly the difference is between DVD [-,+] R is? could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers,

Jason

AFAIK its just a differnt standard. The only two left are DVD+RW and DVD-RW IIRC so it doesnt really matter what one you choose all you have to make sure is get the right media You can get drives that support both but i cant see no reason not to stick to one of the formats looks like there wont be one standard but two.

j
    Just Joined!
    There are 2 remaining standards (DVD-RAM is pretty much obsolete for computers). They are DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. The former is a bit older and, some will argue, more universal (meaning it plays on more DVD players, etc). The latter is a bit newer and usually faster for writing and reading (mine worx fine on all DVD players I have tried). Since the companies couldnt agree on a single standard, we are stuck with a choice.

The trend lately is "dual format" drives. These do both -R/RW and +R/RW (as well as DVD-RAM- a subset of -R if I recall correctly). You can get dual format drives off eBay for about $125.00 (search for NEC 1300) or NewEgg has them for a few bucks more. That way you wont lose out no matter which format you use. I would bet Linux will treat a dual format drive as a -R/RW drive and will likely work fine.