Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, My name is Chris, and I am a linux user *clapping* "Welcome Chris" ...right...I have just installed RedHat 9.0 and am very new to Linux after havin' been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to mount another hard drive...

Hi folks,

My name is Chris, and I am a linux user
    *clapping*
    "Welcome Chris"

...right...I have just installed RedHat 9.0 and am very new to Linux after havin' been a windoze user for the past 6 years or so....
    How do I mount a hard drive and another partition? To give you an idea, I have 2 hdd's in my pc one is 2 gig and the other is 10gig. The 10 is split into 2 partitions and my linux is installed on one of those.

I want to be able to access my other partition and other hdd....can someone tell me how?
    I used beOS once upon a time and was able to right click and mount hardware, but obviously Linux is somewhat different....

Thanks!

Chris

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Welcome Chris,

First you might want a look at http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/viewtopic.php?t=75 for basic linux command including the one your looking for.

Be aware that linux file system ext2/3 is not fully compatible with NTFS but is with FAT32. So if you wish to mount a drive and share it between windows and linux it must be a fat32 file system.

If you still need additonal tips, gives us some more details of your setup and partition info etc... as this is a generic answer.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dan(flw)

I will look at this tonight when I get home from work....must say, rather exciting to be trying linux at the mo...especially since I blew away all my windows install - I'm goin' whole hog!

Thanks again...

Chris

welcome to this_site_does_not_exist chris, hope you like it here.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Yeah, dog. Welcome to the site and the light side.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone....

Good bye Microsoft....goooood bye!

Ok, I tried the mount -l last night and the 2nd partition didn't show up (but it does in the hardware properties box in the system) and my secondary drive didn't show up either!
    I also have 2 cdrom drives, I can't eject one unless I'm logged in as root (there's gotta be something I'm missing here!) and not sure how to mount the second.

I checked out the page you gave flw, but didn't help me too much.

Thanks folks...and I do like it here...and in the world of Linux!

Rock on...

Chris

flw
    Linux Engineer
    In the cmd line tut it list the following:

fdisk -l

The minus lower case "l" displays the names of all physical and logical drives. You'll need this if you wish to work with other drives like mounting a windows drive etc... The output on a RedHat box is like:

/dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3

and so on. In the above output hda1 is the c: drive for windows and hda2 is a fat32 logical partition for Windows with hda3 being linux.
    Did "fdsisk -l" not list the various drives correctly?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    sorry sorry i just HAVE to point this out
    Yeah, dog.
    dog? where

sorry i just had to do it.

and thats my first impresion (i must seem like a spa) but hi chris
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Just Joined!
    Lol....linux ppl are funny...haha

flw, I did try the fdisk cmd but terminal told me it didn't recognise that command. Do I need to do this with a linux boot disk? Rawrite?

Just so we're all on the same page here, I right click the desktop and select "New Terminal Session"...is this how I am supposed to run these commands?

Thanks again....

dog....or dawg? 'pends on da street speak y'use..

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I just tried it again on RH 7.1 and it works fine. What distro are you using?
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast