Find the answer to your Linux question:
Friends, After a lot of searching and trying, i couldn't get my iPod to work. As a "last" resort i tried it in a windows environment (jeck!), but i couldn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy killed my iPod? formating FAT32

Friends,

After a lot of searching and trying, i couldn't get my iPod to work. As a "last" resort i tried it in a windows environment (jeck!), but i couldn't do anything more. But even iTunes couldn't recognize my iPod, so i formated it FAT32. I saw the apple again and could unplug it safely. I by the way lost the menu and After die Apple the ipod only gave an empty map sign

Went back to my suse 9.3 station and could still see the iPod as iPod (media, iPod). iPod (trough kde kio-ipodslave) gave now three maps (artists, playlists, utilities). In gtkpod i can write now to the iPod.

But now the tricky part. The three map, do not create or appear menu-wise. Ok a was able the write music to to iPod, but how to excess it on the ipod, or did i really f*cked up (sorry) this rather expensive device?

Who has a creative and constructive idea? Need some help

Thanx

Marcel van der Reijken
    The Netherland

You need to plug the ipod into whatever computer "owns" it -- whatever computer you first used to give it a name and put all the music on it via itunes. This will almost definitely be a windows or apple machine. Use the ipod tool (in start->programs in windows, dunno where in apple) to reset the device. WARNING. Doing this will result in deleting everything on the ipod!

Once this is done, plug it into the wall and the firmware will automatically reflash.

That should get it working.

I think by formatting it as FAT you turned it into a regular USB disc, and got rid of all the software it needs to be used as an mp3 player. The above should fix it.

Let us know how you get on
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanx for your reaction,

The problem is that i tried to make it work with suse 9.3, but i could never write to it. So than i used my sisters laptop (win xp) and tried to configure (format) with iTunes. But i never came further than the "configure" button. Than in the end i formated the the disk on the win laptop (FAT32) and hoped that now i could work it over on me suse machine.

So should i go back to the win laptop?

Greetings
    Marcel

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you first bought the ipod, which machine did you use to set it up?? The suse9.3 or the win xp?? I'd be surprised if it was on the suse machine, cos I think (and I could be wrong) that ipods can only be set up with a windows or apple computer.

Use the original computer to do what I said.

With it formatted as FAT32 it is no longer an ipod -- it is just a pretty usb drive!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Yes indeed i instantly tried it on my suse 9.3 machine, then the trouble started. But probably i can restore it by using the iPod Updater application, so i hope.