Find the answer to your Linux question:
Want to install Suse on my 40Gb HD which currently has XP on it. Suse can safetly resize NTFS so would like to use the 15Gb of free space that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Hard drive prob

Want to install Suse on my 40Gb HD which currently has XP on it. Suse can safetly resize NTFS so would like to use the 15Gb of free space that exists. However, Suse installer tells me that cos of 'undefragged' files it can only make 4.5Gb free space. Did defrag on XP before attempted install and it left an 'immovable' summat or other right in the middle of the free space.

What can I do?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Have you tried Partition Magic or emailed suse?

Linux Engineer
    Don't really want to pay out for PM, that's one of the reasons for using Suse - it resizes NTFS safetly (so they claim). Not much point emailing Suse IMO as it's more of a hardware/filesystem prob rather than linux based.
    Lansbury's Lido

what you could do if you dont want to buy pm jst download it and then once you have used it delete. in my mind you should be allowed to try software first and that is pretty much all your doing if you only use it once. but im not saying its the right thing to do, so do at you own risk
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    what you could do if you dont want to buy pm jst download it and then once you have used it delete. in my mind you should be allowed to try software first and that is pretty much all your doing if you only use it once. but im not saying its the right thing to do, so do at you own risk
    I think their website says it's only a trial and doesn't physically make any changes unless you cough up.

Lansbury's Lido

j
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Don't really want to pay out for PM, that's one of the reasons for using Suse - it resizes NTFS safetly (so they claim). Not much point emailing Suse IMO as it's more of a hardware/filesystem prob rather than linux based.
    funny thing is... if its more than about $30 to $40 bucks, you are probably better off buying a good used (or new if you watch the loss leaders!) hard drive!!!

BTW, the discrepancy is probably due to the cluster size (IIRC). I am far from an expert, but if you have tons of smaller files, the clusters fill inefficiently, causing the "size on disk" to be much bigger than the actual size.

i guess you could say i was hinting at kazaa if you no what i mean
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    Problem solved - I overwrote me RH9 on me 2nd hd
    Lansbury's Lido