Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I use FC4. I have an old sb16 ISA which I can plug on my linux box (the only one that has ISA slots), so I can get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help getting an old sb16 ISA to work

Hi

I use FC4.
    I have an old sb16 ISA which I can plug on my linux box (the only one that has ISA slots), so I can get the sb128PCI out to use it elsewhere.

I first plugged the pci card out, put the ISA card in.
    It was not autodetected by the autodetection utility. Trying to use xmms returned a message that there was something wrong with the card.

I downloaded the alsa packs, did what the instructions said (compiled with the right parameter etc)
    When I tried to probe it as instructed, it failed. Then I tried alsaconf. It found the card, did the additions to the /etc/modprobe.conf. I tried alsamixer, I could manipulate the volumes.
    At this point I thought I was OK. However it doesnt work. I run xmms and I no longer get the same error message. It opens music files just doesnt play them at all. Its not the volume either.

Any idea at all? I know the card is not pnp. In fact alsaconf put the respective option in modprobe.conf and it detected the IRQ, DMA and other parameters correctly (they are jumper controlled).
    Could it be conflicting with another device? How do I check?

use OSS for the soundcard

i know in slackware u can configure the boot modules to allow sb16's to work
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

try this:

Code:
    /sbin/modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=5 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300
    this works with slackware, it is worth a try to see if it works with fc4.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Still no joy...
    In fact, I hadn't noticed before but my netword interface failed to start when I "installed" the sb16. Now I pulled it and everything is fine again.
    I have put back and installed the pci card for now.
    I need to find out how to manage resources in linux. Where do I monitor dmas irqs and the like?

Is the card so old that it uses jumpers?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829